Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding steel to cast iron head?

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:52:14 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 09/15/2010 08:40 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
The guy delivered the rebuilt Ranger 3.0 cast iron head the other day
and my mechanic started to install it..and noticed that on one of the
rocker towers..something had been broken off..evidently long ago. The
rebuilder claims he wouldnt have rebuilt the head "If it was busted when
I got it"..but frankly...its an old break. Nothing clean and new looking
about it.

It forms one side of a "groove" in the top of the casting that holds
one of the rockers in place and keeps it lined up.....sorta like this:

_ _ _
l l-------l l but looks like this l l------l\

The head is finished but for that. So I stuck it in the mill and cleaned
up the busted side and cut a .187 x .75 flat that I can weld a bit of
steel to. It only keeps the rocker from spinning away from the valve.
One side of a deep "groove" with a bolt hole in the middle of it to hold
the rocker bolt.

What is the prefered way to attach that bit of steel to the side of a
cast iron head? Braze? High Nickle silver solder? Tig with stainless?
???

The piece that I have to attach is .187 x .75 x 75.

I do have some 3/32 dowel pins I could install and then
braze/weld/whatever the "plate" to the cast iron head, but I rather
think its over doing it. It only keeps the rocker from turning away
from the valve.

Any suggestions? Ive made the "plate", Ive milled the flat, filed
everything to fit perfectly...I just need to know the suggested best way
to attach it to the cast iron head.

Thanks for the advise

Y'know Gunner, if you'd have just paid the guy to do the whole job he
would have found some wonky way to install the lifter, then he'd have
glued the valve cover on so you'd never have to experience the pain of
seeing it.

Busting out rolling on the floor. Dry cough. & I quit what ever this
year's date is ago. That was a good one.

I would have tightened that bolt a CH tighter and been in Hell A away
from the warden.

Should be a thick hardened steel rod holding that all together and
won't matter much in that direction anyhow. That bolt will hold it
another 40k+.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Y'know... all kinds of folks jump ALL over someone for top-posting, but
everyone in this thread has quoted the ENTIRE GD OP just to post one-
liners.

All the complaining about "style", and not one single soul seems to have
any _courtesy_ toward other posters OR the net bandwidth.

It's kind of like straining at gnats, doncha think?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's kind of like straining at gnats, doncha think?
Lloyd

?Que

FINE

Hey, I cut them short lots of times and never top post WTF are you
talking about?

I thought it was extremely funny and the liner wasn't me !

At least you could get the right person, most don't seem to get what
ever even when ya leave the whole thing.

Don't look, what did I advise???

It's a 90 degree thing...

You can do it...

Didn't think so.

See the force will be mostly the other direction from the ...

Broken

part.

And I think the bolt and the rocker bar will be sufficient by
themselves given the ****ed up circumstances. I'm quite certain Gunner
will weld it up somehow and know that puppy will be the last to give
up. But, he was asking for advice. It will be many times less likely
to move much to matter if it has rollers, but I never heard them
mentioned, hmmm can't go back and see..... Trust me.

Sorry, hey don't jump on me. There are times that I can handle
confrontation. Preferably I stand back and act indifferent.

Or are you trying to say that you are far superior than me when it
comes to posting on Usenet or advice on the inner workings of internal
combustion engines, or is it something else all together?

Maybe you meant to start your own thread with how you would like
others in the group to trim down the posts so that you don't have to
hold that button and pull down till the important part comes up?

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sometimes top posting is appropriate. For example when someone posts
just to say " I agree." Nothing worse than to scroll down a page to
find the person that replied has added nothing of consequence.

The only thing worse is those that post just to say that the previous
poster should have not top posted. I mean to say the idea is to
convey intelligence. If someone is too slow and needs everything in
the same format in able to comprehend what is going on, they ought to
be ashamed to admit it in public.

Trimming is almost always appropriate.

Dan

On Sep 15, 9:08*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Y'know... all kinds of folks jump ALL over someone for top-posting, but
everyone in this thread has quoted the ENTIRE GD OP just to post one-
liners.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper fired this volley in
:

Or are you trying to say that you are far superior than me when it
comes to posting on Usenet or advice on the inner workings of internal
combustion engines, or is it something else all together?

I never mentioned you. In fact, it was a shotgun comment based upon a
number of folks who both rale about top posting and also copy the entire
thread for every one of their posts.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just follow the average way, I can highlight the whole thing and
**** can it, but I have never top posted.

If ya follow the tree it most certainly does point at me.

No big deal.

But see if I keep doing that others are gonna bitch, cause I can be
fragmented and if there is nothing to look back at they don't faller.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-16, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Sunworshipper fired this volley in
:

[ ... top posting ... ]

I never mentioned you. In fact, it was a shotgun comment based upon a
number of folks who both rale about top posting and also copy the entire
thread for every one of their posts.

Are you sure that it is the same people doing both?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 17, 2:10*pm, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In , on
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 05:08:06 -0700 (PDT), ,
wrote:

Trimming is almost always appropriate.

* Absolutely agree. *I _might_ even remove the "almost."

Staying on topic (If not with the group, then eat least with the
subject) is also appropriuate.