Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding steel to cast iron head?

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:51:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:40:39 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

The guy delivered the rebuilt Ranger 3.0 cast iron head the other day
and my mechanic started to install it..and noticed that on one of the
rocker towers..something had been broken off..evidently long ago. The
rebuilder claims he wouldnt have rebuilt the head "If it was busted when
I got it"..but frankly...its an old break. Nothing clean and new looking
about it.

It forms one side of a "groove" in the top of the casting that holds
one of the rockers in place and keeps it lined up.....sorta like this:

_ _ _
l l-------l l but looks like this l l------l\

The head is finished but for that. So I stuck it in the mill and cleaned
up the busted side and cut a .187 x .75 flat that I can weld a bit of
steel to. It only keeps the rocker from spinning away from the valve.
One side of a deep "groove" with a bolt hole in the middle of it to hold
the rocker bolt.

What is the prefered way to attach that bit of steel to the side of a
cast iron head? Braze? High Nickle silver solder? Tig with stainless?
???

The piece that I have to attach is .187 x .75 x 75.

I do have some 3/32 dowel pins I could install and then
braze/weld/whatever the "plate" to the cast iron head, but I rather
think its over doing it. It only keeps the rocker from turning away
from the valve.

Any suggestions? Ive made the "plate", Ive milled the flat, filed
everything to fit perfectly...I just need to know the suggested best way
to attach it to the cast iron head.

Thanks for the advise

Here are pictures of my problem child.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/RangerHead#

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Since that is just to keep the rocker in place, why don't you just
mill it down further on the head then drill and tap for two bolts, one
over the other, and bolt a piece on the side of the block rather than
screwing around with welding?

Jim