Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone up for making a B-17 restoration part?

Hey all:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device
used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is
interested in making this part... I thought I'd ask here 1st, instead
of going to a big shop. I can upload the prints to the drop box if
anyone is interested... No Money, but you get a piece of history on
your calling card, plus I might throw in a few precision tools...

I dinna know the name of the pretty lady yet...

Best,

Fred V. Fowler III
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/29/2010 6:13 AM, Phred wrote:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device
used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is
interested in making this part... I thought I'd ask here 1st, instead
of going to a big shop. I can upload the prints to the drop box if
anyone is interested... No Money, but you get a piece of history on
your calling card, plus I might throw in a few precision tools...

Post the drawings!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:13:42 -0400, Phred
scribed:

Hey all:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device
used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is
interested in making this part... I thought I'd ask here 1st, instead
of going to a big shop. I can upload the prints to the drop box if
anyone is interested... No Money, but you get a piece of history on
your calling card, plus I might throw in a few precision tools...

I dinna know the name of the pretty lady yet...

Best,

Fred V. Fowler III

What is the Dropbox address for RCM... I will post prints today...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:10:03 -0400, Phred
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:13:42 -0400, Phred
scribed:

Hey all:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device
used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is
interested in making this part... I thought I'd ask here 1st, instead
of going to a big shop. I can upload the prints to the drop box if
anyone is interested... No Money, but you get a piece of history on
your calling card, plus I might throw in a few precision tools...

I dinna know the name of the pretty lady yet...

Best,

Fred V. Fowler III

What is the Dropbox address for RCM... I will post prints today...

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:13:42 -0400, Phred
scribed:

Hey all:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device
used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is

[ ... ]

What is the Dropbox address for RCM... I will post prints today...

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html

Note that this is the address for downloading from the dropbox.
Submissions are via e-mail, and you should go in to the top-level site

http://www.metalworking.com

and click on "using the dropbox" for instructions on how to submit, file
name restrictions, and what kind of files are forbidden (e.g. ".DOC"
files, because of macro virus problems).

Enjoy,
DoN.

P.S. Fred -- not seen you post much recently. Do you still follow
the newsgroup regularly?

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hey all:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device
used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is
interested in making this part... I thought I'd ask here 1st, instead
of going to a big shop. I can upload the prints to the drop box if
anyone is interested... No Money, but you get a piece of history on
your calling card, plus I might throw in a few precision tools...

I dinna know the name of the pretty lady yet...

Best,

Fred V. Fowler III

Hey Fred,

Yeah, please do post it to the drop-box so we can all have a peek.

Without even a clue as to size and materials, it just might make a
good "club project" for us. One of our MDMC members is active with
the CAF at Willow Run, so I bet he's interested. (I always want to
call it the Confederate Air Force, but I know that's not it!!)

Or send me a copy "direct"

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Member Metro Detroit Metalworking Club.

ps....nice to "hear" from, you here once in a while. Been some time
though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Before it became the "Commemorative Air Force" it was the Confederate
Air Force. I remember one of Dad's fellow ag pilots keeping a B-25 in
Angleton, Texas for a while (late '60's). As I recall, originally all
members were colonels.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Colonels are cool. We all know a one star has issues :-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What liability issues are associated with us folk making parts for big
things that fly?

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:13:42 -0400, Phred
scribed:

Hey all:

Just got the orginal 74 year old prints' for a drum and cable device
used on the B-17 bomber. The restoration guys want to see if anyone is
interested in making this part... I thought I'd ask here 1st, instead
of going to a big shop. I can upload the prints to the drop box if
anyone is interested... No Money, but you get a piece of history on
your calling card, plus I might throw in a few precision tools...

I dinna know the name of the pretty lady yet...

Best,

Fred V. Fowler III

Hey all:

I finally got around to posting the print file to the Dropbox... We
have been "balls' to the wall's" getting ready for the IMTS 2010 show!

Maybe I'll see some of you there!

Best,

Fred III
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/B-17_Part.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:02:38 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
scribed:

Phred wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/B-17_Part.pdf

Thanks Bob... Not too familiar with how the "box" works... Plus I've
been getting the IMTS show exhibit together for the last week. Just
shipped today... Thank the God's!

I reckon this part would be for the steering column? Were not the
B-17's still controlled with wire steering? Ailerons? I dinna know
that much, but I do have a B-17 flight manual somewhere... I'll try to
look it up.

Thanks again,

Fred V. Fowler III

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phred wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/B-17_Part.pdf

Thanks Bob... Not too familiar with how the "box" works... Plus I've
been getting the IMTS show exhibit together for the last week. Just
shipped today... Thank the God's!

I reckon this part would be for the steering column? Were not the
B-17's still controlled with wire steering? Ailerons? I dinna know
that much, but I do have a B-17 flight manual somewhere... I'll try to
look it up.

Thanks again,

Fred V. Fowler III

My Field Service manual references Rudder and Elevator Tabs controlled
through drums at the Engine Control Stand

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phred wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/B-17_Part.pdf

Thanks Bob... Not too familiar with how the "box" works... Plus I've
been getting the IMTS show exhibit together for the last week. Just
shipped today... Thank the God's!

I reckon this part would be for the steering column? Were not the
B-17's still controlled with wire steering? Ailerons? I dinna know
that much, but I do have a B-17 flight manual somewhere... I'll try to
look it up.

Thanks again,

Fred V. Fowler III

I certainly don't have the time and pulling out of that groove is over
my capabilities. But, even looking at it sideways, I wouldn't put in
the two circular grooves on the sides to reduce weight. The most of
the stress if it binds will be on the outsides of the cable rapped
around. What's a cubic inch of aluminum for a proven war bird that
will never carry again what it was designed for.

Like the other post, probably trim, the main yoke would be 5-6" dia.
not 2.5"

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:22:36 -0500, Sunworshipper
scribed:

Phred wrote:

[...]

Trim control sounds about right... Much less turn than rudder, and the
dimensions sound about right for tight control over a smaller drum
size and force, more precise control anyway... Or is the bigger the
drum, the more control you have? I was never a physics or calc guy...
I know the bigger a micrometer head, the more precise it is, probably
just cause there are just bigger graduations, more widely spaced,
thus, easier to read and interpret and "split the lines"...

My 0.02 cents...

Fred III

I'll ask the restoration people.