Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding fixture for brazing torch when lit?

Sorry to interupt the political discussions & spam for a metalworking
question.

I am looking for ideas for some type of a holding fixture where I can
set down or hang the lit brazing torch so that I can have both hands
free to reposition or reflux or whatever else needs attention while
brazing something or gas welding aluminum or heating up a part when
doing a heat & beat. Since I do not get out and see what fixtures /
hooks are in use in welding shops, I figured that I would ask here.

Currently I drape the torch over the welding table vise (when I am not
using the vise as a holding fixture) but sometimes the tip rotates and
points to where I do not want a flame. If the vise is in use, I
typically set the torch with the tip facing upward (torch set down on
the gas valves) but that frequently makes an improptu gas mix change.

TIA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:50:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:50:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Sorry to interupt the political discussions & spam for a metalworking
question.

I am looking for ideas for some type of a holding fixture where I can
set down or hang the lit brazing torch so that I can have both hands
free to reposition or reflux or whatever else needs attention while
brazing something or gas welding aluminum or heating up a part when
doing a heat & beat. Since I do not get out and see what fixtures /
hooks are in use in welding shops, I figured that I would ask here.

Currently I drape the torch over the welding table vise (when I am not
using the vise as a holding fixture) but sometimes the tip rotates and
points to where I do not want a flame. If the vise is in use, I
typically set the torch with the tip facing upward (torch set down on
the gas valves) but that frequently makes an improptu gas mix change.

If this won't work out of the box,
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...rest-3642.html
then mod one of these into something you need:
(evidently, HF's welding 3rd hand is no longer for sale. sigh )

TIA

Jewelcome.

I have that same MIG holder..several of them in fact. And they work very
well!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 26, 2:51*pm, James Waldby wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:21:55 -0400, Pete Snell wrote:
wrote:
snip

I am looking for ideas for some type of a holding fixture where I can
set down or hang the lit brazing torch so that I can have both hands
free to reposition or reflux or whatever else needs attention while
brazing something or gas welding aluminum or heating up a part when
doing a heat & beat. *Since I do not get out and see what fixtures /
hooks are in use in welding shops, I figured that I would ask here.

Like one of these? I have one, works well.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-4840&PMPXNO=951655&PARTP...

For anyone interested, the pdf in link below tells what the
Weldit Gasaver does (shuts off gas when torch is hung on hook),
and shows that the vertical tube and knob-looking thing at
top right isn't a knob, but a pilot flame source, for
relighting torch.

www.stoodyind.com/Catalogs/FISC/current/05catpg139.pdf

--
jiw

I have one of these as well. Have a picture circa WWII in a book used
for Northrup trainees of a whole roomful of folks with these gas-
savers busy welding up aircraft parts.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry:

Thanks for posting the link. That is just the kind of gadget that I
am looking for. I have a welding ground magnet that I don't think
that I have ever used and cutting / bending some sheetmetal is no
issue. I sometimes lack the "creative vision" thing. At the price I
would gladly buy it (there is a H Frt about 1.5 miles from home)
instead of making it but not if I have to add shipping $.

If this won't work out of the box,http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...s/magnetic-mig...
then mod one of these into something you need:
(evidently, HF's welding 3rd hand is no longer for sale. sigh )

TIA

Jewelcome.

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I went to my local HF and bought the magnetic mig holder with my 20%
discount and picked up another of the free flashlights (I think I have
aquired almost 10 of them by now). At first I was a bit disappointed
- then I wiped some of the slag & dust away before setting the holder
on the welding table. After a quick tweek to reform the brkt a small
ammount I am here to say: THIS THING IS GREAT! I have even used it
to hold a cutting torch (but that is very close to the capacity of the
magnet vs the lever arm of the torch). It is especially sweet to have
it hold the torch when lighting.

On Aug 27, 3:48*pm, wrote:
Larry:

Thanks for posting the link. *That is just the kind of gadget that I
am looking for. *I have a welding ground magnet that I don't think
that I have ever used and cutting / bending some sheetmetal is no
issue. *I sometimes lack the "creative vision" thing. *At the price I
would gladly buy it (there is a H Frt about 1.5 miles from home)
instead of making it but not if I have to add shipping $.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:26:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I went to my local HF and bought the magnetic mig holder with my 20%
discount and picked up another of the free flashlights (I think I have
aquired almost 10 of them by now).

I'm surprised a how well their LED flashlights work. Now if they'd do
that for their headlamps, I'd be happy. I want to pay $3 apiece, not
$30.

At first I was a bit disappointed
- then I wiped some of the slag & dust away before setting the holder
on the welding table. After a quick tweek to reform the brkt a small
ammount I am here to say: THIS THING IS GREAT! I have even used it
to hold a cutting torch (but that is very close to the capacity of the
magnet vs the lever arm of the torch). It is especially sweet to have
it hold the torch when lighting.

Next buy one of the 80# boat fishing magnets and mig a magnetic mig
holder bracket to it to hold rosebuds and cutting torch heads.
http://fwd4.me/hcZ $8, sucha deal! Then again, it might be a real
bitch to remove. Howzbout a 45-pounder? http://fwd4.me/hca multi-
position mag base for dial indicators. Build your holder bracket up
around the existing shaft, or unscrew it and create your own mounting
system. The knob makes it easy to remove.

On Aug 27, 3:48*pm, wrote:
Larry:

Thanks for posting the link. *That is just the kind of gadget that I
am looking for. *I have a welding ground magnet that I don't think
that I have ever used and cutting / bending some sheetmetal is no
issue. *I sometimes lack the "creative vision" thing. *At the price I
would gladly buy it (there is a H Frt about 1.5 miles from home)
instead of making it but not if I have to add shipping $.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.

Brazing Torch steve Metalworking 4 May 18th 06 04:50 PM
Brazing Torch steve UK diy 13 May 16th 06 10:59 AM
Propane / air brazing torch John Hewitt UK diy 7 September 2nd 04 03:08 PM
Bernzomatic Brazing Torch Nick Lockett UK diy 4 July 21st 04 11:45 PM
brass brazing with a large propane torch Eric Chang Metalworking 13 November 11th 03 11:06 PM