John Hewitt

Default Propane / air brazing torch

Many years ago (!!!) I recall using a brazing torch, which was powered
by 'town' gas and used compressed air to increase the heat generated.

I have a propane tank and an air compressor. I'd like to buy a similar
torch that uses propane and compressed air supply to generate lots of
controlled and focused heat for brazing.

But, I can't find a supplier. I have spent some time googling for such
a torch, but can't seem to come up with one.

I wonder can any one out there suggest a supplier??

John Hewitt Malaga Spain
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:59:25 +0200, John Hewitt
wrote:

I wonder can any one out there suggest a supplier??

Just get some firebricks and build a hearth. Town gas needed blown air
to do anything useful, but propane can braze on natural draught.

Personally I use oxy-propane for this. Running costs are little more
than propane (gas cost is negligible below the bottle rental, which
I'm renting for oxy-acetylene welding anyway). I can also have either
a much smaller hot flame for small jobs, or I can fire up a 6" wide
line burner that's enough heat to do some forgework with.
--
Smert' spamionam
Cicero

"John Hewitt" wrote in message
Many years ago (!!!) I recall using a brazing torch, which was powered
by 'town' gas and used compressed air to increase the heat generated.

I have a propane tank and an air compressor. I'd like to buy a similar
torch that uses propane and compressed air supply to generate lots of
controlled and focused heat for brazing.

But, I can't find a supplier. I have spent some time googling for such
a torch, but can't seem to come up with one.

I wonder can any one out there suggest a supplier??

John Hewitt Malaga Spain

===================
Have you looked at: www.machinemart.co.uk ? You might find something under
'welding' to interest you.

As far as I remember the 'town gas / compressed air' mix was necessary
because there wasn't enough pressure from the gas main to produce the
required heat but propane gas tanks appear to have enough pressure via the
regulator to make additional air pressure unnecessary.

Cic.

OldScrawn

I had the same experience and prejudices when I only had a "Primus" plumbing
torch run off a propane bottle but, as the other posters say, with the screwfix
gas torch kit and ordinary propane bottles I can braze / silver solder brass,
copper, steel without any trouble (firebricks help)

Smudger

"John Hewitt" wrote in message
Many years ago (!!!) I recall using a brazing torch, which was powered
by 'town' gas and used compressed air to increase the heat generated.

I have a propane tank and an air compressor. I'd like to buy a similar
torch that uses propane and compressed air supply to generate lots of
controlled and focused heat for brazing.

But, I can't find a supplier. I have spent some time googling for such
a torch, but can't seem to come up with one.

I wonder can any one out there suggest a supplier??

John Hewitt Malaga Spain

We used to have this arrangement in school for brazing steel. Definitely
natural gas and a small compressor.

Cromwell do a wide range of stuff for gas welding. www.cromwell.co.uk

HTH

Smudger

raden

In message , Smudger
writes

"John Hewitt" wrote in message
.. .
Many years ago (!!!) I recall using a brazing torch, which was powered
by 'town' gas and used compressed air to increase the heat generated.

I have a propane tank and an air compressor. I'd like to buy a similar
torch that uses propane and compressed air supply to generate lots of
controlled and focused heat for brazing.

But, I can't find a supplier. I have spent some time googling for such
a torch, but can't seem to come up with one.

I wonder can any one out there suggest a supplier??

John Hewitt Malaga Spain

We used to have this arrangement in school for brazing steel. Definitely
natural gas and a small compressor.

Cromwell do a wide range of stuff for gas welding. www.cromwell.co.uk

Cromwell rocks

The RS of the mechanical world (but cheaper)

--
geoff
Owain

"Smudger" wrote
| We used to have this arrangement in school for brazing steel.
| Definitely natural gas and a small compressor.

I was told that, before Calor was available, my school used a petrol-and-air
mixture for the Bunsen burners in the science labs.

Owain