Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steve

Default Brazing Torch

Does anyone know if I can still get hold of a carbon brazing torch? I
saw one a few years ago. It had two carbon electrodes in a kind of
holder and connects to an arc welder. Also, do they work? Are they any
good?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville

Why not build your own? Here are the plans (fifth, sixth, and seventh
items down):

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks8/meador/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On 15 May 2006 03:18:06 -0700, "steve"
wrote:

Does anyone know if I can still get hold of a carbon brazing torch? I
saw one a few years ago. It had two carbon electrodes in a kind of
holder and connects to an arc welder. Also, do they work? Are they any
good?

They definitely work. Any good? Well... it's cheap, and quite able
to do good brazing on work of suitable size, perhaps not for something
like silverbrazing posts onto earrings. It's cheap. You must
wear an arcwelding mask, so visibility is not as good as when brazing
with a flame. Good ventilation is required because a carbon arc can
produce cyanogen gas -- but good ventilation should always be used
when welding or brazing.

I brazed a lot of stuff with a carbon arc torch and a really cheap
90-amp 110-volt arcwelder (J. C. Whitney) before I got an O/A
setup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

They work, they are clumsy to use, they are still available
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=20690

steve wrote:

Does anyone know if I can still get hold of a carbon brazing torch? I
saw one a few years ago. It had two carbon electrodes in a kind of
holder and connects to an arc welder. Also, do they work? Are they any
good?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steve

Thank for all the help, guys. Somebody has put me on to
www.welddirect.co.uk

Brazing Torch steve UK diy 13 May 16th 06 10:59 AM
Can anyone ID this plasma torch Ignoramus30985 Metalworking 3 May 8th 06 03:49 PM
Propane / air brazing torch John Hewitt UK diy 7 September 2nd 04 03:08 PM
Bernzomatic Brazing Torch Nick Lockett UK diy 4 July 21st 04 11:45 PM
brass brazing with a large propane torch Eric Chang Metalworking 13 November 11th 03 11:06 PM