Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tell me what I need

I'm trying to fix an old cement mixer. I need either some washers with a 1"
hole, or a spacer/collar that has the same opening. Where would I look for
these things? Local NAPA? Ace? I would like grade five or eight.

And I need to weld cast to steel. Should I just buzz it with 7018, or get
some Ni rod and do the preheat and postheat and all that? This won't be
taking a lot of stress, just keeping a shaft in line, replacing a wallowed
shaft tunnel.

And I have a 13" aluminum pulley that has a one inch hole. It is cracked
along two of the legs, and looks like it will break off any time. Because
the shaft is so wallowed, I want to buy a steel pulley, and tack it on in
line so that it doesn't wobble like the current one does. Any sources?
Gonna look locally in the next couple of days.

Steve

visit my site, leave an e mail, and get a free book!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/21/2010 3:57 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

A new cement mixer.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:27:12 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I'm trying to fix an old cement mixer. I need either some washers with a 1"
hole, or a spacer/collar that has the same opening. Where would I look for
these things? Local NAPA? Ace? I would like grade five or eight.

No good industrial supply houses? If not..Napa should be good, followed
by Ace (bracccck!!)

And I need to weld cast to steel. Should I just buzz it with 7018, or get
some Ni rod and do the preheat and postheat and all that? This won't be
taking a lot of stress, just keeping a shaft in line, replacing a wallowed
shaft tunnel.

I think you should hand forge and beat out a new bearing, cast from a
meteorite. You do have one, dont you?

Humm..if not....then Id go with the Ni rod. You CAN make it worse than
it is now if you dont do it right. Its simple..but....

And I have a 13" aluminum pulley that has a one inch hole. It is cracked
along two of the legs, and looks like it will break off any time. Because
the shaft is so wallowed, I want to buy a steel pulley, and tack it on in
line so that it doesn't wobble like the current one does. Any sources?
Gonna look locally in the next couple of days.

What...no aluminum rod? Easy weld..

Now if the shaft is porked..line a new pulley up and weld it on..tack
weld it so you can get it back off someday.

Ebay for pulleys along with the usual internet sources.

Also, check here. And Ill check my Stuff. I may..may have a 12 or 13"

Shouldnt be smaller..run too fast.

Steve

visit my site, leave an e mail, and get a free book!

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 01:20:20 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

What...no aluminum rod? Easy weld..

Now if the shaft is porked..line a new pulley up and weld it on..tack
weld it so you can get it back off someday.

Ebay for pulleys along with the usual internet sources.

Also, check here.

Whoops....

http://www.richardscompany.com/mry_inv.htm

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 8:27*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I'm trying to fix an old cement mixer. *I need either some washers with a 1"
hole, or a spacer/collar that has the same opening. *Where would I look for
these things? *Local NAPA? *Ace? *I would like grade five or eight.

And I need to weld cast to steel. *Should I just buzz it with 7018, or get
some Ni rod and do the preheat and postheat and all that? *This won't be
taking a lot of stress, just keeping a shaft in line, replacing a wallowed
shaft tunnel.

And I have a 13" aluminum pulley that has a one inch hole. *It is cracked
along two of the legs, and looks like it will break off any time. *Because
the shaft is so wallowed, I want to buy a steel pulley, and tack it on in
line so that it doesn't wobble like the current one does. *Any sources?
Gonna look locally in the next couple of days.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

visit my site, leave an e mail, and get a free book!

Home Depot has 1" galvanized washers. They're with the one inch bolts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-21, Steve B wrote:
I'm trying to fix an old cement mixer. I need either some washers with a 1"
hole, or a spacer/collar that has the same opening. Where would I look for
these things? Local NAPA? Ace? I would like grade five or eight.

Ace probably has them.

And I need to weld cast to steel. Should I just buzz it with 7018, or get
some Ni rod and do the preheat and postheat and all that? This won't be
taking a lot of stress, just keeping a shaft in line, replacing a wallowed
shaft tunnel.

I would use NiRod with preheat. I used it recently, it was awesome.

And I have a 13" aluminum pulley that has a one inch hole. It is cracked
along two of the legs, and looks like it will break off any time. Because
the shaft is so wallowed, I want to buy a steel pulley, and tack it on in
line so that it doesn't wobble like the current one does. Any sources?
Gonna look locally in the next couple of days.

McMaster Carr

Steve

visit my site, leave an e mail, and get a free book!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kevin(Bluey)" wrote in message
. au...
[...]

Laughed so hard, I put myself to sleep.

See ya. Well, no I won't, but you know what I mean.

bink!

Steve