Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone got a free Machinist Calculator for PDA or phone?

Gunner Asch wrote:

I had one several years ago, and the damned pda disappeared out of my
truck..damnit

I have Machinists Toolbox PDA on my palm. I'm not that impressed by it and I respect
copyright.

I've made one or two half hearted attempts to resurect my palm programming enviroment in
order to port some of Marv's excellent programs but stuff comes up, I loose interest,
yada. Being interested in almost everything has some drawbacks.

It also is a bit harder since Palm has wandered off somewhere else. I bumped into the cd
that came with a Palm PDA programming book I bought many years ago book recently, maybe
this winter, I'll try again if I haven't abandoned my Palm TE by then. I may be mistaken
but the TX can't do wpa2 so I'm not going to buy the end of the line model. If that isn't
so, I'll buy a TX to run for a couple more years. Anyone using a TX and wpa2?

I can not remember the google smart phone but is it something that could fill in for my
Palm? Also is it opensource, the iphone sounds like it is locked down for apples profit
center. I'm going to have to move on eventually.

If I could move all my stuff over to a smartphone that I could program, I'd be on that
like stink on chit.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:18:33 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I recently bought my ex the HTC (Google) Hero smart phone. Big display,
very few buttons (3). Seems to be holding up pretty well so far. Lots of
free aps for it, but it is from Sprint.

I think it was $75 on special.

She really likes it compared to her previous Samsung Instinct..which was
in the shop with far too much regularlity.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Wes, I understand lots of people are unlocking iPhones to run
non-approved apps, and also to use it with non-AT&T carriers.
I also believe the programming environment is very friendly.
The iPhone is an amazing device. I think it would be worthwhile to
pursue it as a platform.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I believe the Droid environment is as capable or more capable than the
iPhone, and is an open environment so you don't have to fight a loony
company in order to produce and market your apps.

One long time iPhone fan I know just finally gave up on the iPhone after
a couple weeks with the iPhone 4. The problem was more one of the
hopelessly inadequate network behind it i.e. ATT and the fact that
despite years of network problems they have still not upgraded their
network adequately.

My cell is on Verizon, and over the past year we have both been at the
same places a lot and a great many times I have perfect service on my
phone while he had no service. The clincher was recently when we were
both standing *inside* a 40' steel cargo container in the middle of
nowhere where he had no service, and I was receiving and sending text
messages with no issues despite having zero bars of signal.

He is using his cell a lot more for work and can simply not tolerate the
constant dropped calls and frequent areas of no coverage. He uses/used a
lot of apps on the iPhone, so he was leery of a change, but he reviewed
all the apps he uses and found the same or comparable apps available for
the Droid. It was amusing watching him order up an HTC Droid Incredible
at the Verizon store.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I hear that a lot about AT&T, but I've found it more than adequate for
my needs.
Most of my usage is in the DFW area, but I've had 3G access on
mountaintops in the Pacific Northwest and long empty highway stretches
in the midwest. there are some areas of texas which are pretty hopeless
for signal, but thats true of other carriers as well

My daughter had an Android phone, and her gripe was the lack of free
apps. The apps she wanted were more expensive and some had a monthly
charge. I was getting the same or better apps for free or a couple
dollars. She finally gave up and got an iPhone, loves it.

I'm not saying it's perfect. The closed-environment is something I avoid
on my PC, and I hate having to do everything through a buggy iTunes
sync. Half the time I can't get me phone to sync, or even be recognized
by Tunes.

But the OS is elegant, the screen is gorgeous, and I can read it without
glasses. And the apps are simply amazing.

Having said all that, I've not doubt the Droid is catching up fast.
They have a lot of corporate hor$epower driving it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

That 40' cargo container I was sending and receiving Verizon text
messages inside was in Honey Grove.

My daughter had an Android phone, and her gripe was the lack of free
apps. The apps she wanted were more expensive and some had a monthly
charge. I was getting the same or better apps for free or a couple
dollars. She finally gave up and got an iPhone, loves it.

I expect this has changed a lot. My friend found that a few apps that
had been missing on the Droid side were available when he looked a few
weeks later.

I'm not saying it's perfect. The closed-environment is something I avoid
on my PC, and I hate having to do everything through a buggy iTunes
sync. Half the time I can't get me phone to sync, or even be recognized
by Tunes.

But the OS is elegant, the screen is gorgeous, and I can read it without
glasses. And the apps are simply amazing.

Having said all that, I've not doubt the Droid is catching up fast.
They have a lot of corporate hor$epower driving it.

Yes, while in that Verizon store I played with that HTC Droid
Incredible, and have played with my friend iPhone 4 and I found little
difference between then, in fact the Droid seemed faster. Convergence...

Of course personally, I have neither, just a Motorola Z6c which is one
of Verizon's "world" phones that does GSM. Not a smart phone, but not a
dumb phone either, camera, pic and vid messaging, and most important -
works most everywhere - including in Egypt when I was there on vacation.
Heck, it even worked on the dive yacht in the Red Sea when we were not
too far out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Gee, I don't think I can top that one G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

Wes, I understand lots of people are unlocking iPhones to run
non-approved apps, and also to use it with non-AT&T carriers.
I also believe the programming environment is very friendly.
The iPhone is an amazing device. I think it would be worthwhile to
pursue it as a platform.

I believe the term used is 'Jailbreaking'. I don't have a iPhone since I don't care to
buy into a data plan at this time.

http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/bus...1007/64388.php

I'll give smart phones another year or so to mature.

Thanks,

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:18:33 -0400
Wes wrote:

snip
I've made one or two half hearted attempts to resurect my palm programming enviroment in
order to port some of Marv's excellent programs but stuff comes up, I loose interest,
yada. Being interested in almost everything has some drawbacks.

I'm severely afflicted with the last bit of your statement...

There is always Onboard C. Runs on your Palm and can compile/create C
programs for it. See:

http://onboardc.sourceforge.net/

I have it on my main computer but don't know if I'm up to messing
around with on my Tungsten E. My C skills are minimal...

Another possibility is Small Basic. Runs on both Windows and Palm. See:

http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/

And HotPaw Basic, the free version has some limitations though. See:

http://www.hotpaw.com/rhn/hotpaw/

Yet another possibility if you have good formulas ready to go is LyME.
I've messed around with it some, but nothing at all complicated.

"LyME is a port of LME ("Lightweight Math Engine", the heart of
Sysquake) to Palm OS handheld devices. It implements about 320 native
commands, functions and operators, mostly compatible with Matlab. It
requires Palm OS 3.1 or higher and at least 1 MBytes of memory free."

See:

http://www.calerga.com/products/LyME/index.html

You could probably use EasyCalc and its Solver for many of Marv's
little calculators. It is pretty easy to work with (Solver). I have a
few financial formulas set up using Solver. Be warned though, the backup
flag isn't set for the Palm file used to keep Solver formulas. In other
words if you have to restore from backup, you will have lost all your
Solver entries. Found that out the hard way. Glad I had my formulas
written down. I have the backup flag for it set now

I didn't check all the above links. I have all these programs stashed
somewhere though if you are truly interested in any of them.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:18:33 -0400
Wes wrote:

snip
[...]

Just got this:

App Inventor for Android

App Inventor is a new tool in Google Labs that makes it easy for anyone
—programmers and non-programmers, professionals and students—to create
mobile applications for Android-powered devices. Regardless of your
level of programming experience, App Inventor gives you the
opportunity to control and reshape your communication experience. Sign
up on the App Inventor site to receive an invitation to try it out.
http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about