Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can't do this on a 4x6

A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife01.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife02.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife03.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife04.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife05.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife06.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife08.JPG

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:04:04 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife01.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife02.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife03.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife04.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife05.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife06.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife08.JPG

Superbly done!! Bravo Sir!..Im humbled by that.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice job Ned. Saws are WAY faster than mills.

I just did a slitting type operation with my roll-in saw, similar to what
you did. On this unit, you have to clamp up the part and let the saw gravity
feed about nine inches and then reclamp. Looks like you got a better
machine for the job.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...s/Knife08.JPG* * * *

--
Ned Simmons

How is the cable fed? In the past I've used a large Marvel saw and I
think that the table was fed by screws driven by a slip clutch that
you could adjust. On the Marvel the table stayed flat and the saw
traveled and could be angled. Your DoAll looks to be in great shape
given its age!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 11, 10:04*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...s/Knife08.JPG* * * *

--
Ned Simmons

How long did the cut take?

Saw a multi-page advertising blurb in a WWII-era machining magazine
about all the cuts that could be done with the DoAll that left usable
offcuts that could be then used for other things, not the case when
milling stuff out. Niftiest one was making a die by drilling,
threading a cut blade through and then rewelding the blade. The cut-
out slug then became the punch. Also replaced forgings for auto-
cannon with welded-up bits cut by DoAlls. Save hundreds of pounds of
steel for each one that way.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

What does the part do?

Every vertical band saw I've ever used had a drift angle. Your pictures look like yours
tracks fairly straight. What, if any drift angle, does your saw tend to have?

I had an instructor that said more than once that the bandsaw and drill press can be very
efficient machines when removing metal. In the case of drill press, think chain drilling.
I've put in a day or so using a portamag to open up an opening before.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife01.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife02.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife03.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife04.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife05.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife06.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Knife08.JPG

Very awesome!!

Why is the floor so clean?? G

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 05:33:28 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Jul 11, 11:04*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...s/Knife08.JPG* * * *

--
Ned Simmons

How is the cable fed?

There's a cast iron weight suspended from a pivoting bar. The cable is
routed thru a pulley on the end of the bar. The handwheel visible down
low in the second photo moves the weight along the bar to adjust the
cable tension.

In the past I've used a large Marvel saw and I
think that the table was fed by screws driven by a slip clutch that
you could adjust. On the Marvel the table stayed flat and the saw
traveled and could be angled. Your DoAll looks to be in great shape
given its age!

Though it was in fine mechanical condition when I got it, it looked
like someone had painted it with tan latex house paint on top of 40
years worth of grease. The paint was peeling off in big strips.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 07:47:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jul 11, 10:04*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...s/Knife08.JPG* * * *

--
Ned Simmons

How long did the cut take?

A bit more than an hour for the actual cut. Probably another 1-1/2
hours futzing to get the setup right.

Saw a multi-page advertising blurb in a WWII-era machining magazine
about all the cuts that could be done with the DoAll that left usable
offcuts that could be then used for other things, not the case when
milling stuff out. Niftiest one was making a die by drilling,
threading a cut blade through and then rewelding the blade. The cut-
out slug then became the punch. Also replaced forgings for auto-
cannon with welded-up bits cut by DoAlls. Save hundreds of pounds of
steel for each one that way.

DoAll published a couple small hardcover books around that time that
show lots of those operations. They're available pretty cheaply on
ebay.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:26:02 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

What does the part do?

It's a transition piece between the lower mill roll and the outfeed
table. Part of a much larger project I'm finishing up.

Every vertical band saw I've ever used had a drift angle. Your pictures look like yours
tracks fairly straight. What, if any drift angle, does your saw tend to have?

Virtually none once you get the feed right. That cut was flat to
better than .030 over the entire surface. I watched the whole cut
because I was concerned about chips lifting the part off the table or
guide, but I never had to intervene.

The saw's upper wheel and adjustable guide are mounted with a rather
unique arrangement of coaxial clamping/jacking screws that allow
alignment with the lower guide as close as your patience allows.
Getting them very close is worth the effort.

I had an instructor that said more than once that the bandsaw and drill press can be very
efficient machines when removing metal. In the case of drill press, think chain drilling.
I've put in a day or so using a portamag to open up an opening before.

Yeah, milling that corner off would not have been too bad with a big
horizontal mill. But I was in no mood to stand in a shower of blue
chips for half a day doing it on my vertical.

--
Ned Simmons