Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Can't do this on a 4x6

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 05:33:28 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Jul 11, 11:04*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative
was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed
on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an
Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was
also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...s/Knife08.JPG* * * *

--
Ned Simmons

How is the cable fed?

There's a cast iron weight suspended from a pivoting bar. The cable is
routed thru a pulley on the end of the bar. The handwheel visible down
low in the second photo moves the weight along the bar to adjust the
cable tension.

In the past I've used a large Marvel saw and I
think that the table was fed by screws driven by a slip clutch that
you could adjust. On the Marvel the table stayed flat and the saw
traveled and could be angled. Your DoAll looks to be in great shape
given its age!

Though it was in fine mechanical condition when I got it, it looked
like someone had painted it with tan latex house paint on top of 40
years worth of grease. The paint was peeling off in big strips.

--
Ned Simmons