Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe auto tool changer - which is best

Hi,

We are looking at CNC lathes and there is a bunch of different layouts
for the tool changers. Having no experience with CNC lathes, we are at
the mercy of the sales staff. What's the plus and minus of the various
designs?

Slant bed
Horizontal rotary turret
Vertical rotary turret with axis perpendicular to the spindle
Vertical rotary turret with axis parallel to the spindle

Thanks

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Hi,

We are looking at CNC lathes and there is a bunch of different layouts
for the tool changers. Having no experience with CNC lathes, we are at
the mercy of the sales staff. What's the plus and minus of the various
designs?

Slant bed
Horizontal rotary turret
Vertical rotary turret with axis perpendicular to the spindle
Vertical rotary turret with axis parallel to the spindle

Thanks

Dave

You'll also want to ask this question on alt.machines.cnc.

Tell them if this is a high-accuracy application. When you get near the
limits of lathe accuracy (in the 0.0002" range), differences in tool weight
can cause some variation in slant-bed designs. But they're fine for ordinary
lathe work.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:12:58 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote the following:

Hi,

We are looking at CNC lathes and there is a bunch of different layouts
for the tool changers. Having no experience with CNC lathes, we are at
the mercy of the sales staff. What's the plus and minus of the various
designs?

Slant bed
Horizontal rotary turret
Vertical rotary turret with axis perpendicular to the spindle
Vertical rotary turret with axis parallel to the spindle

Thanks

Dave

Dave, I ran into my garage with the left side of my car. What will it
cost to repair? People used to call into the auto body shop with that
kind of question and sincerely expect to get a proper estimate.
Amazing!

Hint: Does any question above give another person enough details that
they can make an informed suggestion for the person asking the
question? (Are you making micro-miniature needles or milling castings
for giant earthmover axles? Tooling suggestions -may- differ. g

--
Who is John Galt?