Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default F.E. Reed manual

I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

Does anyone know anyone who might have literature that old?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 5, 12:14*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

In modern times, there are alternatives to those old poured Babbit
bearings; you might find instructions easier to locate if you look
into Moglice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:03:57 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Jul 5, 12:14*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

In modern times, there are alternatives to those old poured Babbit
bearings; you might find instructions easier to locate if you look
into Moglice.

=========
Lindsay Books has how-to info on DIY babbit bearings.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/babb/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks4/babbitt/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/babbitt/index.html
also
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...babbet-205718/

also see
http://mogorehab.com/index.php
http://www.mogorehab.com/repair.php
http://www.thomasnet.com/eastern-pen...3730801-1.html
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-31995.html
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...arings-207087/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...lice-vs-76409/

Be sure to let the group know how things turn out.
--

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 5, 2:14*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

Does anyone know anyone who might have literature that old?

LLoyd

There's a Reed Prentice group on Yahoo. I haven't joined it, but if
you do, you might find manuals posted there or someone who knows where
to get them.
I found information that I needed from a South Bend yahoo group for a
SB lathe that I have.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

Does anyone know anyone who might have literature that old?

LLoyd

The OWWM board has a write up on it, and a link to the Magnolia Babbitt
book.

http://wiki.owwm.com/(S(bfdfie55namjaa55f55zihvi))/Default.aspx?Page=Babbitt&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupp ort=1

Fine Woodworking had an instructional article on the subject in the
JAN/FEB '73 issue.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee fired this volley in
:

Be sure to let the group know how things turn out.

Thanks for the other links. I was familiar with the Lindsay books, but
figure for every machine there are machine-specific instructions on how to
establish and hold alignment, etc, while pouring.

I guess I can figure out all that stuff -- it's not really rocket science.

So far, though, I can't find anyone who actually sells Moglice or the
polyPBM work-alike by Philadelphia Resins. I'll keep looking.

LLoyd

Compressor reed valves propman Home Repair 6 November 30th 06 01:23 AM
old FE Reed lathe FS in Houston bill Metalworking 0 March 12th 06 05:48 PM
Hudson Reed [email protected] UK diy 2 January 20th 06 06:30 PM
F.E. Reed Lathe shtechie Metalworking 7 November 15th 05 02:04 PM
Reed Gray Paul Rasmussen Woodturning 1 January 20th 05 06:27 AM