DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   F.E. Reed manual (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/305967-f-e-reed-manual.html)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 5th 10 08:14 PM

F.E. Reed manual

I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

Does anyone know anyone who might have literature that old?

LLoyd

whit3rd July 5th 10 09:03 PM

F.E. Reed manual

On Jul 5, 12:14*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

In modern times, there are alternatives to those old poured Babbit
bearings; you might find instructions easier to locate if you look
into Moglice.

F. George McDuffee July 5th 10 10:40 PM

F.E. Reed manual

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:03:57 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Jul 5, 12:14*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

In modern times, there are alternatives to those old poured Babbit
bearings; you might find instructions easier to locate if you look
into Moglice.

=========
Lindsay Books has how-to info on DIY babbit bearings.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/babb/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks4/babbitt/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/babbitt/index.html
also
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...babbet-205718/

also see
http://mogorehab.com/index.php
http://www.mogorehab.com/repair.php
http://www.thomasnet.com/eastern-pen...3730801-1.html
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-31995.html
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...arings-207087/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...lice-vs-76409/

Be sure to let the group know how things turn out.
--

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;

Denis G.[_2_] July 5th 10 11:26 PM

F.E. Reed manual

On Jul 5, 2:14*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

Does anyone know anyone who might have literature that old?

LLoyd

There's a Reed Prentice group on Yahoo. I haven't joined it, but if
you do, you might find manuals posted there or someone who knows where
to get them.
I found information that I needed from a South Bend yahoo group for a
SB lathe that I have.

axolotl[_2_] July 6th 10 12:19 AM

F.E. Reed manual

I have an old 14x40 F.E. Reed lathe.

'been looking all over the web for manuals, copies, parts, but no joy.

It's time to re-pour the headstock bearings, and I figure the lathe manual
is the place to start looking for instructions.

Does anyone know anyone who might have literature that old?

LLoyd

The OWWM board has a write up on it, and a link to the Magnolia Babbitt
book.

http://wiki.owwm.com/(S(bfdfie55namjaa55f55zihvi))/Default.aspx?Page=Babbitt&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupp ort=1

Fine Woodworking had an instructional article on the subject in the
JAN/FEB '73 issue.

Kevin Gallimore

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 6th 10 01:18 AM

F.E. Reed manual

F. George McDuffee fired this volley in
:

Be sure to let the group know how things turn out.

Thanks for the other links. I was familiar with the Lindsay books, but
figure for every machine there are machine-specific instructions on how to
establish and hold alignment, etc, while pouring.

I guess I can figure out all that stuff -- it's not really rocket science.

So far, though, I can't find anyone who actually sells Moglice or the
polyPBM work-alike by Philadelphia Resins. I'll keep looking.

LLoyd