Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compressor reed valves

More on the continuing saga of the inherited compressor........

Finally managed to track down an exploded view of the compressor and found
out that I am missing a couple of reed valves........now I know I can buy
them, but am wondering if I can just make a couple.

From what I understand they usually are comprised of spring steel, so
todays questions a

Typical steel gauge?
Are they a flat unit or do they have curvature to their shape?

Any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated....thanks. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me guess. The Amazing Swami will attempt to discern. Concentrate
with me. Look at the cards. Three of hearts. King of diamonds. The
next one will be the indication. Five of spades. There it is!

You are a retired engineer?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"propman" wrote in message

More on the continuing saga of the inherited compressor........

Finally managed to track down an exploded view of the compressor and
found
out that I am missing a couple of reed valves........now I know I can
buy
them, but am wondering if I can just make a couple.

From what I understand they usually are comprised of spring steel, so
todays questions a

Typical steel gauge?
Are they a flat unit or do they have curvature to their shape?

Any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated....thanks. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

propman wrote:
More on the continuing saga of the inherited compressor........

Finally managed to track down an exploded view of the compressor and found
out that I am missing a couple of reed valves........now I know I can buy
them, but am wondering if I can just make a couple.

From what I understand they usually are comprised of spring steel, so
todays questions a

Typical steel gauge?
Are they a flat unit or do they have curvature to their shape?

Any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated....thanks. :-)

Just use some feeler gage pieces out of a feeler gage set. The type
that you check points on car or lawn mower of the early days of point
and condenser ign systems.. I have done this before and it works
perfect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

propman wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

propman wrote:
More on the continuing saga of the inherited compressor........

Finally managed to track down an exploded view of the compressor and
found out that I am missing a couple of reed valves........now I
know I can buy them, but am wondering if I can just make a couple.

From what I understand they usually are comprised of spring steel,
so todays questions a

Typical steel gauge?
Are they a flat unit or do they have curvature to their shape?

Any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated....thanks. :-)

Just use some feeler gage pieces out of a feeler gage set. The type
that you check points on car or lawn mower of the early days of point
and condenser ign systems.. I have done this before and it works
perfect.

Cool....will have to remember this tip. I finally decided to go ahead
and cut some out of galvanised sheet steel I kicking around
here.....worked like a charm. I think though to be on the safe side I
will still order the manufacturers replacement parts.

Thanks for the tip....much appreciated! :-)

CAREFUL! Galv steel will not wear well and may actually delaminate during
that kind of use. It may well also break prematurely after a few hours of
use. The debris could wreak havoc on the piston rings and even the bypass,
etc..
I'd use it only for emergency until the right parts are available. The
hardness of spring steel is required for those reeds.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pop`" wrote in

propman wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

propman wrote:
More on the continuing saga of the inherited compressor........

Finally managed to track down an exploded view of the compressor
and found out that I am missing a couple of reed valves........now
I know I can buy them, but am wondering if I can just make a
couple.

From what I understand they usually are comprised of spring steel,
[...]

Thanks, Pop.....that confirms what I already suspected. I inherited
this compressor in bits and even though it was only manufactured last
year it looks as if it's gone through some rough times. Primary
function of making the homemade reed valves was to see if the tank came
up to and held pressure.....it did and so I am ordering the correct
replacement valves (at least I tried to but Sears parts department
couldn't find the unit on their computers and so I am waiting to hear
back from them.).

Cheers, Pop......much appreciated! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

propman wrote:
"Pop`" wrote in

propman wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

propman wrote:
More on the continuing saga of the inherited compressor........

Finally managed to track down an exploded view of the compressor
and found out that I am missing a couple of reed valves........now
I know I can buy them, but am wondering if I can just make a
couple.

From what I understand they usually are comprised of spring steel,
so todays questions a

Typical steel gauge?
Are they a flat unit or do they have curvature to their shape?

Any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated....thanks.
:-)

[...]

Most welcome. BTW, if you've got a small engine/metal shop in the area,
give 'em a call, or any place that works on compressors. Those reeds are
pretty much the same across a lot of brands. If getting the originals
fails, I mean.

Luck!

Pop`

Hudson Reed [email protected] UK diy 2 January 20th 06 07:30 PM
F.E. Reed Lathe shtechie Metalworking 7 November 15th 05 03:04 PM
Reed Valves in Two-strokes Tim Wescott Metalworking 16 January 25th 05 06:11 PM
Reed Gray Paul Rasmussen Woodturning 1 January 20th 05 07:27 AM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 08:32 PM