Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What do you think about plastic sheds like this:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 23:53:23 -0500, Ignoramus11285
wrote:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

$1,149.99????????????????????

Blink blink....blink......

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
$564.00

Quite frankly...one could simply build their own wooden shed of good
size, 10x12, etc etc for $500 or less.

either way..you will likely need either a good wood subbase, or pour a
slab.

I put one up, similar to the last one in 1986, and its still just fine,
but then..I live in the desert. Foggy as hell in the winter time
however. Cost me $325 as I recall in '86

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11285 on Sat, 26 Jun
2010 23:53:23 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

Cute, but "ouch". OTOH, I spent about $1200 on a "similar" shed
from Lowes/Home Depot - also extruded plastic. But I also "threw
together" a base for it, which was most of it, as I recall. [Actually,
I made noises like a bank, and my friend with the air nailer said
"hold this" while he did his thing. (Nice to have friends who know
what they are doing.)]
If I had it to do again, I'd probably get the extension, and put
it in a different place.

the advantage to the Extruded Resin is that the building is very
sturdy. We had a foot of snow last winter - unusual for this part of
the world, and a lot of the metal shed buckled. Collapsed even. So
did many of the picturesque old wooden sheds and barns. They don't
rust. Draw back is that they are bit more expensive than the metal
ones.
And I probably could have bought a lot more "shed" if I had built
it from 2x4s and plywood - but the "kits" let me get it all done
"quickly" (I'm paying for someone else to do the measure and cutting")
Time or money - usually one or the other is more plentiful.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11285 wrote:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

Have you looked at wood construction? I built a 8' x 8' one about 25 years ago. Used
pressure treated materials for the floor and set it on top of two rail road ties I got
cheap so there is ventilation under it.

Just offering other options.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-27, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11285 wrote:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

Have you looked at wood construction? I built a 8' x 8' one about 25 years ago. Used
pressure treated materials for the floor and set it on top of two rail road ties I got
cheap so there is ventilation under it.

Just offering other options.

Wes, I did build a wooden shed 8 years ago, which is still in great
shape.

Now I think that it is too much work an I have too many projects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 27, 10:43*am, Ignoramus12901 ignoramus12...@NOSPAM.
12901.invalid wrote:
Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

Wes, I did build a wooden shed 8 years ago, which is still in great
shape.

Now I think that it is too much work an I have too many projects.

You could add a wood frame inside to reinforce it and support heavy-
duty shelves. Then you'd have the strength of 4x4 corner posts with no
extra finishing work.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 26, 10:53*pm, Ignoramus11285 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11285.invalid wrote:
Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

* *http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

That's about 3x what I paid for mine and that was with the extra
extension kit. Mine isn't nearly as fancy, though. The advantage of
these over wood buildings is that they can be thrown up in a day or
so. Also can be taken down and moved, if needed. Mine came with a
foundation kit. That was the major task, building the foundation.
Mine has a pretty elaborate roof truss system, supposed to be good for
20 lbs/sq ft. It's had 4' of heavy snow on it and we've had 120 mph
winds, still standing. I'd prefer an end entrance to the side
entrance myself, just makes rolling equipment in a lot easier for me.
YMMV. Check the door and hinge contruction, that's a weak point for a
lot of these and probably where the wooden ones have an advantage.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus11285 wrote:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

I would worry about the plastic cracking on very cold days.

And creeping on hot days.

I would ask around locally.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

Check your local codes and ordnances. Just because someone sells them
in your community doesn't mean you won't be ordered to remove it.

We have a situation here like that. New prick with a clipboard in
city hall. It actually made the papers yesterday, a friend sent it to
me here at the lake. I was also a target of this prick. I will join
my fellow citizen, with his support from his neighbors and mine from
mine, at a hearing at City Hall in July. Some government is a good
thing, but overzelous pricks with clipboards serving their own egos
against the wil of the people who live in the community need to have
their leashes shortened choke-collar style. Nobody can yank a choke
collar like an elected politician faced with an unhappy, articulate
and organized electorate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-28, Don Foreman wrote:
Check your local codes and ordnances. Just because someone sells them
in your community doesn't mean you won't be ordered to remove it.

We have a situation here like that. New prick with a clipboard in
city hall. It actually made the papers yesterday, a friend sent it to
me here at the lake. I was also a target of this prick. I will join
my fellow citizen, with his support from his neighbors and mine from
mine, at a hearing at City Hall in July. Some government is a good
thing, but overzelous pricks with clipboards serving their own egos
against the wil of the people who live in the community need to have
their leashes shortened choke-collar style. Nobody can yank a choke
collar like an elected politician faced with an unhappy, articulate
and organized electorate.

Don, please do not get me started on that!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

Check your local codes and ordnances.

Check your local codes and ammo?!?

Just because someone sells them
in your community doesn't mean you won't be ordered to remove it.

And get the snow-load roof beef-out (their words) kit for it in
Illinoise. http://tinyurl.com/289dz9h here's the manual.

We have a situation here like that. New prick with a clipboard in
city hall. It actually made the papers yesterday, a friend sent it to
me here at the lake. I was also a target of this prick. I will join
my fellow citizen, with his support from his neighbors and mine from
mine, at a hearing at City Hall in July. Some government is a good
thing, but overzelous pricks with clipboards serving their own egos
against the wil of the people who live in the community need to have
their leashes shortened choke-collar style. Nobody can yank a choke
collar like an elected politician faced with an unhappy, articulate
and organized electorate.

Before I sold my house in CA, the city changed rules on me. First, the
cost of getting sewer to the house went from $50/ft to $100/ft (430'
run since the contractor decided to go the other way to get sewer to
the new apartments he was building above me) and the residential
density estimate went from 5 down to 3 (gotta have parking and
parklike spaces, y'know.) I think that was due to my turning down a
low grease-ball to the contractor on the hill above me, who is the one
who addicentally allowed a mudstorm to overflow my yard during his
construction. The city did **** about any of it.

My neighbor, Joyce, lost her case (she's caring for her 93 y/o dad)
last year. The witch behind her got the court to steal 90x154' of her
back lot. Joyce was barred from the courtroom during the case, too,
except when giving testimony, while all of the witch' paid allies lied
for her in court. Joyce finally put up a fence after asking all the
proper agencies about the placement and getting their blessings via
phone. Now the witch has the other neighbors up in arms against the
new fence. The county road engineering fop who told Joyce that she had
to move the fence back 10' called one neighbor "Mom" when she came out
to see what the fuss was about in the private road he was claiming as
County property. Joyce is back talking with the attorney, who is
still reeling from the first idiodic ruling against them.

I guess that's happening all over, with bureaucrats (pricks with
clipboards) overstepping their authority right and left.

It'd be a shame if any upcoming cull found any or all of these
puckheads, too, wouldn't it?

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas
in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wow, what happened exactly, how was she barred and how did that land
taking occur?

Joyce finally put up a fence after asking all the
proper agencies about the placement and getting their blessings via
phone. Now the witch has the other neighbors up in arms against the
new fence. The county road engineering fop who told Joyce that she had
to move the fence back 10' called one neighbor "Mom" when she came out
to see what the fuss was about in the private road he was claiming as
County property. Joyce is back talking with the attorney, who is
still reeling from the first idiodic ruling against them.

I guess that's happening all over, with bureaucrats (pricks with
clipboards) overstepping their authority right and left.

It'd be a shame if any upcoming cull found any or all of these
puckheads, too, wouldn't it?

Any kind of a real "cull" is a golden time for prickheads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 27, 1:55*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

*Ignoramus11285 wrote:
Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

* *http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

I would worry about the plastic cracking on very cold days.

And creeping on hot days.

I would ask around locally.

Joe Gwinn

Haven't had that happen and mine's been up for at least 5 years in
115+ degree weather and -30. Neither for weeks on end, but it does
get sunshine regularly. Other than the skylight going amber, no
chalking or cracking. No guarantees for any other make, though.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The judge said that Joyce and her father (landowner) could not be in
the courtroom during the proceedings except when giving testimony.
There was no outburst, no drama whatsoever. Evidently, the witch's
attorney got the judge to agree to it prior to the trial. I've never
heard of anything like that even being possible in our legal system,
but that's what happened. Only their attorney was allowed in court.
The witch's first attorney took the depositions and promptly bailed
from the case. The second attorney kept the plaintiffs out of court.
Witch's family owns several mills and large businesses here other
places in OR, and some questions about bribery were raised.

The witch said she'd been using the land for a decade (it had been 8
years, creeping up on the other property with a shared garden and
words to the effect that it wasn't their land. Then they put up a
temporary horse corral and called it their own.) Evidently, they said
the earlier owner had told them that the land up to the bank was
theirs, and without any proof, the judge said "OK." thud

Under ancient 1862 Oregon laws regarding homesteading, witch won the
land. In THIS day and age and cost of land, and after the 1976 repeal
of the earlier laws in the 48 contiguous states. Un.****ing.Real.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas
in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sounds scary. I have my yard fenced and if I ever move anywhere, I
would fence my land as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 27, 2:55*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

*Ignoramus11285 wrote:
Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois
climate.

* *http://tinyurl.com/29frl9p

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not
want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a
mistake to buy?

I would worry about the plastic cracking on very cold days.

Also from UV degradation which makes some plastics brittle.