Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting metal sighting

Driving down to Vegas on Thursday. From the right at my 2 o'clock is an
A-10 headed straight at the Interstate, running about 250' elevation. Right
before he gets to I-15, he banks hard right, and proceeds towards Nellis
paralleling the freeway. About thirty seconds behind him, another does the
same. I have not seen military aircraft at that low of an elevation except
up close to the Site or the Gunnery Range, or around Nellis taking off and
landing. We've seen them up there where we could see the pilot's faces.
And sometimes they were screaming, and kicking up dust on the ground. It
rattles your teeth because they are on you before you ever see them. Those
A-10's were doing about 100 knots. Stall speed on them is 70, IIRC.

Cool.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flying in under radar sometimes is a complex task.
Practice, practice, practice.

How about three wings of B-52s circling overhead as they meet up for
formation and painted in war colors - that happened to me on the school yard.

I knew only one wing was up at a time and they were all silver.
Saw my dad a couple of days later - he was a Radar expert -

One day - they called it "Bay of Pigs" ... You know what I mean.

Sometimes planning is neat. I heard from one crew member a couple of years
ago - on TV - they had practiced on most towns in the mid west - bombing runs.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/26/2010 10:55 PM, Steve B wrote:
Driving down to Vegas on Thursday. From the right at my 2 o'clock is an
A-10 headed straight at the Interstate, running about 250' elevation. Right
before he gets to I-15, he banks hard right, and proceeds towards Nellis
paralleling the freeway. About thirty seconds behind him, another does the
same. I have not seen military aircraft at that low of an elevation except
up close to the Site or the Gunnery Range, or around Nellis taking off and
landing. We've seen them up there where we could see the pilot's faces.
And sometimes they were screaming, and kicking up dust on the ground. It
rattles your teeth because they are on you before you ever see them. Those
A-10's were doing about 100 knots. Stall speed on them is 70, IIRC.

Cool.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 00:22:12 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Sometimes planning is neat. I heard from one crew member a couple of years
ago - on TV - they had practiced on most towns in the mid west - bombing runs.

Martin

Seen a couple or five ArcLite strikes in RVN.

Very very very awesome. Sucks to go in afterwards and do a BDA.

" Counted 21 feet. Captain"
"Ok...thats 22 dead"

Ah..Captain? There were 18 left feet..only 3 right feet"

Errr.....52 KIAs?

More sir..more"

I copy"

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:55:47 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote the following:

Driving down to Vegas on Thursday. From the right at my 2 o'clock is an
A-10 headed straight at the Interstate, running about 250' elevation. Right
before he gets to I-15, he banks hard right, and proceeds towards Nellis
paralleling the freeway. About thirty seconds behind him, another does the
same. I have not seen military aircraft at that low of an elevation except
up close to the Site or the Gunnery Range, or around Nellis taking off and
landing. We've seen them up there where we could see the pilot's faces.
And sometimes they were screaming, and kicking up dust on the ground. It
rattles your teeth because they are on you before you ever see them. Those
A-10's were doing about 100 knots. Stall speed on them is 70, IIRC.

Cool.

Really cool. I saw a Warthog RC plane yesterday at the -tiniest- air
show I've ever been to. It had about a 5' wingspan. I love those old
dogs, but I'd sure like a bit more thrust from the engines if I were
flying one. Hmm, pilot's license training runs $8-10k nowadays...
Naaah, ain't gonna happen.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas
in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
Driving down to Vegas on Thursday. From the right at my 2 o'clock is an
A-10 headed straight at the Interstate, running about 250' elevation. Right
before he gets to I-15, he banks hard right, and proceeds towards Nellis
paralleling the freeway. About thirty seconds behind him, another does the
same. I have not seen military aircraft at that low of an elevation except
up close to the Site or the Gunnery Range, or around Nellis taking off and
landing. We've seen them up there where we could see the pilot's faces.
And sometimes they were screaming, and kicking up dust on the ground. It
rattles your teeth because they are on you before you ever see them. Those
A-10's were doing about 100 knots. Stall speed on them is 70, IIRC.

Love those Warthogs. My favorite plane.
Possibly tied with the F86