Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tumbling small steel parts

I want to tumble small steel parts in ceramic media. I have a vibratory UV10
tumbler. I have never tried ceramics and I understand the best way to use
them is wet. I have tried an alternative medium (well, silica cat litter
actually) with water and dishwashing liquid. The result was not bad
considering, however, flash rusting was a definite issue, not totally
unexpected. I tried Zip Wax Car Wash (Turtle Wax) with a similar result.

Has anyone developed a compound to use with the ceramic media that cleans
the parts *and* prevents rust? I understand one can buy many proprietary
compounds, however, they are expensive and often it is not clear whether
they contain a rust inhibitor.

I was wondering if adding something like Evaporust to water would work (not
a cheap solution either if any amount of Evaporust were needed) but before
any further experimenting I thought I would ask.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
[...]

Finish Aid http://www.pavco.com/display.cfm?p=92&pp=4#FinishAidAC

Will this be an ongoing need? I have some on the shelf if you only need a
small quantity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:03:59 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

[...]

Lots of guys/shops tumble steel parts dry as a bone. Works pretty well.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 12:03*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
[...]

We use a biodegradable finishing compound with ceramic media called
VL555, from ViChem in Rockville, CT. 1-860-676-8250. I would not run
ceramic media dry in spite of Gunner's assertion. There are dry
medias however...corncob has been used with a paste polish added to it
to brighten brass, would not be too effective on your steal though. I
guss you want to de-burr them with the tumbler?

You can try using something like Cascade dishwasher soap, you want a
surfactant property with the wash. You can set up a drip bucket and
gravity feed the wash. Get your parts out promptly when the shake is
over and dry them good, might even put em in the oven, add a
protectant after that, not whilst still in the tumbler.

G'luck
Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

My brother uses kerosene.
Art

Can a big mill do small parts? TwoGuns Metalworking 6 January 11th 10 04:56 AM
Holding small parts Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 15 March 13th 09 02:37 PM
Source for small parts D.M. Procida UK diy 31 January 2nd 09 12:53 PM
Small appliance parts? dpb Home Repair 4 April 12th 08 11:18 PM
cleaning parts after tumbling Ryan Metalworking 6 July 16th 03 08:10 PM