Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Tumbling small steel parts

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I want to tumble small steel parts in ceramic media. I have a vibratory
UV10 tumbler. I have never tried ceramics and I understand the best way to
use them is wet. I have tried an alternative medium (well, silica cat
litter actually) with water and dishwashing liquid. The result was not bad
considering, however, flash rusting was a definite issue, not totally
unexpected. I tried Zip Wax Car Wash (Turtle Wax) with a similar result.

Has anyone developed a compound to use with the ceramic media that cleans
the parts *and* prevents rust? I understand one can buy many proprietary
compounds, however, they are expensive and often it is not clear whether
they contain a rust inhibitor.

I was wondering if adding something like Evaporust to water would work
(not a cheap solution either if any amount of Evaporust were needed) but
before any further experimenting I thought I would ask.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Finish Aid http://www.pavco.com/display.cfm?p=92&pp=4#FinishAidAC

Will this be an ongoing need? I have some on the shelf if you only need a
small quantity.