Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding small parts

I volunteered to fix a bunch of older Vemco drafting machines (elbow type)
for the local high school. A frequent fault is that the graduated base
plate can no longer be clamped by the "Protractor Brake". Said brake is
simply a thin piece of aluminum with a shoulder that pinches (clamps) down
on the protractor. It is approximately the size of a nickel and about as
thick. I successfully filed 0.007 inches of one side, however, it is a
difficult task freehand and removes a lot of skin from the fingertips.
If it weren't aluminum, I would simply place it on my magnetic chuck.

One thought I had was to carve a recess into a block of wood and use that as
a work stop. An advancement would be to drill a hole into said block of
wood and use either my vacuum pump or mighty-vac to hold the part down.
Could also make in impression in a chunk of clay, but SWMBO says it would
take at least 24 hours to fire in her huge kiln.

Other ideas appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

See my clamping suggestion from a day or two ago for Bob's cut out
coins.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

super glue to steel. surface grind, heat part with propane torch to remove.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Could also make in impression in a chunk of clay, but SWMBO says it would
take at least 24 hours to fire in her huge kiln.

And after it was fired, the part wouldn't fit - clay shrinks when fired.

Thin (not thick and foamy) double-stick tape might do perfectly well, if
the parts are clean and flat. The superglue already suggested would also
work. If the part is prone to creep during filing despite the tape, a
couple of stops to catch the edge of the plate might be all the help it
needs.

Hot glue is yet another option. Fixturing alloy would be another.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Could also make in impression in a chunk of clay, but SWMBO says it would
take at least 24 hours to fire in her huge kiln.

And after it was fired, the part wouldn't fit - clay shrinks when fired.

Thin (not thick and foamy) double-stick tape might do perfectly well, if
the parts are clean and flat. The superglue already suggested would also
work. If the part is prone to creep during filing despite the tape, a
couple of stops to catch the edge of the plate might be all the help it
needs.

Hot glue is yet another option. Fixturing alloy would be another.

I've got a bunch of Indium/Bismuth that would be perfect - it shrinks
..0002"/" after an hour and the eutectic temp. is 136F.
The trouble is that it's $80.00/lb but I might make a send out a half pound
as a courtesy. I think that would be enough and it's reusable.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I volunteered to fix a bunch of older Vemco drafting machines (elbow type)
for the local high school. A frequent fault is that the graduated base
plate can no longer be clamped by the "Protractor Brake". Said brake is
simply a thin piece of aluminum with a shoulder that pinches (clamps) down
on the protractor. It is approximately the size of a nickel and about as
thick. I successfully filed 0.007 inches of one side, however, it is a
difficult task freehand and removes a lot of skin from the fingertips.
If it weren't aluminum, I would simply place it on my magnetic chuck.

I have engraved pocker chips by milling a socket for them in block of wood,
and then clamping the edges down while I worked on the middle.

One thought I had was to carve a recess into a block of wood and use that
as a work stop. An advancement would be to drill a hole into said block
of wood and use either my vacuum pump or mighty-vac to hold the part down.
Could also make in impression in a chunk of clay, but SWMBO says it would
take at least 24 hours to fire in her huge kiln.

Other ideas appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 12, 2:34*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
...Said brake is
simply a thin piece of aluminum with a shoulder that pinches (clamps) down
on the protractor. *It is approximately the size of a nickel and about as
thick. *...

How about making aluminum soft jaws for your milling vise with a
shallow horizontal vee notch in the top edges, or a few dowel pin
holes?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Paste wax an area on your mill table, and one of the subject parts with a
good heavy duty paste wax. Mold release wax is premium, as sold by fiber
glass venders.

Lay the part down on the side you wish to machine.

Lag the part up with body filler, or tooling plastic. Modeling clay can be
used if necessary to stop the plastic from getting under the part in areas
that would trap and lodge the part in the cured plastic mold.

Upon hardening, gently clamp the mold as is, and machine the back flat with
well used tool. Body filler and tooling plastics are most often very
abrasive.

Flip it over, clamp it down, and machine the part.

Pop out the part, replace with another, and repeat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Mount it on a wooden dop with sealing wax then either clamp that or work
freehand with a decent handle. Heat to release. Might need a few brass
panel pins with their heads just lower than the surface of the part
round the edge to resist lateral forces, but it's gotta be easier than
carving a pocket and wax will clean off easier at a lower temperature
than superglue. I've lapped dozens of copper seal washers I annealed
for reuse that way last time I rebuilt a diesel.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

on 3/12/2009, Ecnerwal supposed :
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Could also make in impression in a chunk of clay, but SWMBO says it would
take at least 24 hours to fire in her huge kiln.

And after it was fired, the part wouldn't fit - clay shrinks when fired.

Thin (not thick and foamy) double-stick tape might do perfectly well, if
the parts are clean and flat. The superglue already suggested would also
work. If the part is prone to creep during filing despite the tape, a
couple of stops to catch the edge of the plate might be all the help it
needs.

Hot glue is yet another option. Fixturing alloy would be another.

Agreed.
I've had good luck with double sided sticky and light cuts.

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks everybody!!

I decided to try the thin double sided tape idea first. (BTW the part is
not round so some of the replies would not work). Milled a thin slot across
a 1" x 0.1" piece of aluminum. Slot depth approximately 0.025" deep.
Simply enough to give me a shoulder against which the part will abut while I
push the file. Used thin scotch brand double sided tape. Worked like a
charm. Merely sliding the file across 4-5 times, I removed almost 0.010
material. Was shooting for 0.007±. Very fast. Takes longer to find the
end of the scotch tape than to complete the project.
It surprised me that I could even file backwards, whereby only the tape was
holding the part i.e. no shoulder for the part to rest against.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:32:46 -0700, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

That's a very nice courtesy!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:34:35 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

[...]

Lapidaries grind and polish rocks freehand. They use dop wax.
http://www.gravescompany.com/adhesive.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Ivan,

Glad it worked out for you. Me??? I had no idea what to do!!!
BUUUTTT.... I do hope to catch at least one of the NAMES SEMINARS in
mid April which would seem to be of interest to you and many of us:

Noon Saturday...
Jerry Kieffer "SILVER SOLDERING & FABRICATING SMALL PARTS"

and at 4PM..
Ron Grimes "WORKING WITH SMALL CASTINGS AND PARTS".

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

....On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 05:19:18 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Thanks everybody!!

I decided to try the thin double sided tape idea first. (BTW the part is
not round so some of the replies would not work). Milled a thin slot across
a 1" x 0.1" piece of aluminum. Slot depth approximately 0.025" deep.
Simply enough to give me a shoulder against which the part will abut while I
push the file. Used thin scotch brand double sided tape. Worked like a
charm. Merely sliding the file across 4-5 times, I removed almost 0.010
material. Was shooting for 0.007±. Very fast. Takes longer to find the
end of the scotch tape than to complete the project.
It surprised me that I could even file backwards, whereby only the tape was
holding the part i.e. no shoulder for the part to rest against.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

friend of mine polishes facets on glass chunks (up to about 50lbs apiece) by
embedding them in a puddle of paraffin, using a vibrolap, then gently
heating them up to get the paraffin off.

Source for small parts D.M. Procida UK diy 31 January 2nd 09 12:53 PM
Small appliance parts? dpb Home Repair 4 April 12th 08 11:18 PM
Small parts gold plating Malcolm Stewart UK diy 16 September 27th 06 07:58 AM
interference fit on small brass parts megoodsen Metalworking 10 February 7th 06 11:49 PM
Turning (and holding) a small wheel? Andy Dingley Woodturning 6 December 7th 05 12:03 AM