Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default Holding small parts

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Could also make in impression in a chunk of clay, but SWMBO says it would
take at least 24 hours to fire in her huge kiln.

And after it was fired, the part wouldn't fit - clay shrinks when fired.

Thin (not thick and foamy) double-stick tape might do perfectly well, if
the parts are clean and flat. The superglue already suggested would also
work. If the part is prone to creep during filing despite the tape, a
couple of stops to catch the edge of the plate might be all the help it
needs.

Hot glue is yet another option. Fixturing alloy would be another.

I've got a bunch of Indium/Bismuth that would be perfect - it shrinks
..0002"/" after an hour and the eutectic temp. is 136F.
The trouble is that it's $80.00/lb but I might make a send out a half pound
as a courtesy. I think that would be enough and it's reusable.

JC