Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default One more gunsmith question

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with
screws (which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes
hard to turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or
is it just designed to hold the screw tightly?

Secondly, while I could go to Ace Hadrware and buy two very short
10-32 screws, they will not look original because the original ones
were black. Not really a big deal, but is there some place to buy
matching screws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 May 2010 17:16:22 -0500, Ignoramus9556 wrote:

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with screws
(which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes hard to
turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or is it just
designed to hold the screw tightly?

It probably is the standard coarse metric size 5mm x .8mm.
Note that 10-32 major diameter is 0.1900" or 4.8260 mm
and spacing is 1/32" = .03125" = .79375 mm, fairly close
to 5x.8mm metric.

[snip rest]

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 May 2010 22:42:22 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 17:16:22 -0500, Ignoramus9556 wrote:

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with screws
(which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes hard to
turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or is it just
designed to hold the screw tightly?

It probably is the standard coarse metric size 5mm x .8mm.
Note that 10-32 major diameter is 0.1900" or 4.8260 mm
and spacing is 1/32" = .03125" = .79375 mm, fairly close
to 5x.8mm metric.

An M5 screw in a 10-32 hole acts like what Iggy describes, but a 10-32
screw is a sloppy fit in an M5 hole.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with
screws (which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes
hard to turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or
is it just designed to hold the screw tightly?

Secondly, while I could go to Ace Hadrware and buy two very short
10-32 screws, they will not look original because the original ones
were black. Not really a big deal, but is there some place to buy
matching screws.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

use the very handy search engine on the left side of the page and find
the exact replacement screws

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 May 2010 22:42:22 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 17:16:22 -0500, Ignoramus9556 wrote:

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with screws
(which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes hard to
turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or is it just
designed to hold the screw tightly?

It probably is the standard coarse metric size 5mm x .8mm.
Note that 10-32 major diameter is 0.1900" or 4.8260 mm
and spacing is 1/32" = .03125" = .79375 mm, fairly close
to 5x.8mm metric.

[snip rest]

Most American manufactures used some odd threads, but few were metric.

Iggy can buy the proper screws at GunParts, or simply retap the holes
for 10-32 full depth, and black oxide some standard screws he buffed the
galvinizing off of.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/8/2010 17:16, Ignoramus9556 wrote:
The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with
screws (which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes
hard to turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or
is it just designed to hold the screw tightly?

Secondly, while I could go to Ace Hadrware and buy two very short
10-32 screws, they will not look original because the original ones
were black. Not really a big deal, but is there some place to buy
matching screws.

Have you tried Brownell's?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 17:16:22 -0500, Ignoramus9556 wrote:

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with screws
(which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes hard to
turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or is it just
designed to hold the screw tightly?

It probably is the standard coarse metric size 5mm x .8mm.
Note that 10-32 major diameter is 0.1900" or 4.8260 mm
and spacing is 1/32" = .03125" = .79375 mm, fairly close
to 5x.8mm metric.

An M5 screw in a 10-32 hole acts like what Iggy describes, but a 10-32
screw is a sloppy fit in an M5 hole.

I just remembered...10-36 is a rather common gun screw size.

as is 10-40 and 10-48

http://www.efunda.com/designstandard...ws/unified.cfm

Its probably a 10-36

It should be noted..that gun screws are Seldom "common" sizes in thread
dimension.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=613054

As an example....

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-08, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

use the very handy search engine on the left side of the page and find
the exact replacement screws

Gunner, this website is totally awesome, it is like McMaster-Carr of
guns. I found replacement screws at $2.50 each. THANK YOU!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 May 2010 19:37:36 -0500, Ignoramus9556

On 2010-05-08, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

use the very handy search engine on the left side of the page and find
the exact replacement screws

Gunner, this website is totally awesome, it is like McMaster-Carr of
guns. I found replacement screws at $2.50 each. THANK YOU!!!

Ive been trading there for over 30 yrs. Chuckle

Got lots of other places, depending on what you are looking for in arms,
ammo and so forth.

They also have Stuff that never makes it to the catalogs. I was looking
for an extractor for a Bergman Bayard 1903...and they had (1) carcass
stuck on a shelf. It helps if you have good contact skills and have
dealt with some of the guys for many years G

Got lots of other places, depending on what you are looking for in arms,
ammo and so forth

I see they are running specials on shotgun stocks for some of the more
common clunkers at the moment. Got a couple I might need to "dress up"
a bit, after giving it a cursory run through.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with
screws (which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes
hard to turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or
is it just designed to hold the screw tightly?

Secondly, while I could go to Ace Hadrware and buy two very short
10-32 screws, they will not look original because the original ones
were black. Not really a big deal, but is there some place to buy
matching screws.

Guns quite commonly use finer-pitch threads than UNF. It's probably a
10-36.

A possibility:
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com:80/

Or make them on your lathe. You'll have the blackening stuff anyway,
right?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 8, 6:37*pm, Ignoramus9556
On 2010-05-08, Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

use the very handy search engine on the left side of the page and find
the exact replacement screws

Gunner, this website is totally awesome, it is like McMaster-Carr of
guns. I found replacement screws at $2.50 each. THANK YOU!!!

If you fork out for the catalogs, you'll get a lifetime reference.
Now comes in two volumes.

As far as threads are concerned, guns are wide open. A lot of designs
originated way before screw threads were standardized. Brownell's is
about the only place you can get taps and dies for some of them.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

HOLY CRAP! $20 for a tap?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 May 2010 02:38:44 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=613054

HOLY CRAP! $20 for a tap?

Hey, millions of electrons have to slave over a hot, oily CNC all day
to produce one of those teensy little things, Tawm. Whaddaya want?

--
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her
or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. Wierd sizes are more expensive than normal made by the millions
sizes.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

HOLY CRAP! $20 for a tap?

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Ta...?prodcode=T057

The last time I bought odd taps from them they were Polish.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 20:09:07 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

HOLY CRAP! $20 for a tap?

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Ta...?prodcode=T057

The last time I bought odd taps from them they were Polish.

Wes

Good taps, great price.

Gunner