Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wrenching GM brake pins

The one wrench moment that stands out in my mind.
Friend of mine has a Buick station wagon. Wanted
to do front brakes. Well, the pins for the calipers are
rotted on. I ended up slotting them with a dremel.
Try a big screw driver. No joy. Finally angled the
slot, and beat the screw end with a hammer and
cold chisel. Still no joy. Put a torch behind the
caliper, and heated the thread part, and it came
loose.

Someday I want to take an impact socket, about
the size of the bolt head. Grind it down into the
shape of a one way screw, like you see in the
bathrooms. I can then slot and angle the tip of
the bolt, and the wrench tip will match up with
that. Allow me to use impact wrench on the
GM brake pin.

Anyone done this?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The one wrench moment that stands out in my mind.
Friend of mine has a Buick station wagon. Wanted
to do front brakes. Well, the pins for the calipers are
rotted on. I ended up slotting them with a dremel.
Try a big screw driver. No joy. Finally angled the
slot, and beat the screw end with a hammer and
cold chisel. Still no joy. Put a torch behind the
caliper, and heated the thread part, and it came
loose.

Someday I want to take an impact socket, about
the size of the bolt head. Grind it down into the
shape of a one way screw, like you see in the
bathrooms. I can then slot and angle the tip of
the bolt, and the wrench tip will match up with
that. Allow me to use impact wrench on the
GM brake pin.

Anyone done this?

Seems to me you answered your own question. Torch it first perhaps give it
a shot of PB Blaster let it soak and then hive it heat.

Then remember the anti-seize putting the suckers back together.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 3, 10:37*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
[...]

they come up with this striped stuff.- Hide quoted text -

Or get a Ford. No pins to mess with, knock one key out and the
caliper is loose(some have two keys). Takes about 5 minutes to change
pads, longest time is spent jacking the piston back in.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 4 May 2010 10:04:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

On my 2001 Ranger..remove (2) 15mm bolts from the back of the
caliper..and the thing comes off in your hand. Jack the pistons (2)
back in with a large pair of Channel locks, put antiseize on the two
bridge pins and stick it back on after setting the pads in place. Takes
less than 5 minutes..probably closer to 3 if you have an air wrench.

Did both the Ranger and the exes Saturn yesterday afternoon in about 1.5
hours total..fronts AND rears. 8 wheels.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

how do pins on ICs typically die ? robb Electronics Repair 9 September 18th 07 03:53 PM
Finger brake vs. press brake Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 May 28th 06 04:29 PM
Split pins Homer2911 UK diy 21 April 16th 06 11:10 AM
Suggestions for inexpensive Air Compressor for finish nailing + air wrenching? [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 7th 06 12:30 AM
Back Hoe pins tm_wilhelm Metalworking 2 February 23rd 05 07:10 PM