Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wrenching GM brake pins

The one wrench moment that stands out in my mind.
Friend of mine has a Buick station wagon. Wanted
to do front brakes. Well, the pins for the calipers are
rotted on. I ended up slotting them with a dremel.
Try a big screw driver. No joy. Finally angled the
slot, and beat the screw end with a hammer and
cold chisel. Still no joy. Put a torch behind the
caliper, and heated the thread part, and it came
loose.

Someday I want to take an impact socket, about
the size of the bolt head. Grind it down into the
shape of a one way screw, like you see in the
bathrooms. I can then slot and angle the tip of
the bolt, and the wrench tip will match up with
that. Allow me to use impact wrench on the
GM brake pin.

Anyone done this?

--
Christopher A. Young