Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hold my beer...

The slab outside my shop has shifted enough that the bottoms of the
barn doors were scraping and could not be opened all the way. Removing
them is a big job, so I came up with this kluge to trim the door
bottoms. Sliding the the face of the grinder guard on the concrete pad
guides the saw about 5/8" over the pad. The adapter arbor is made from
a heavy nut and large washer, trued up on the lathe after welding. A
cheap 9" carbide blade would be preferable -- the doors are 3-1/2"
thick and have screws in the bottoms -- but the steel skilsaw blade
was on hand and got the job done.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

The slab outside my shop has shifted enough that the bottoms of the
barn doors were scraping and could not be opened all the way. Removing
them is a big job, so I came up with this kluge to trim the door
bottoms. Sliding the the face of the grinder guard on the concrete pad
guides the saw about 5/8" over the pad. The adapter arbor is made from
a heavy nut and large washer, trued up on the lathe after welding. A
cheap 9" carbide blade would be preferable -- the doors are 3-1/2"
thick and have screws in the bottoms -- but the steel skilsaw blade
was on hand and got the job done.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

Wish I could weld that well.

Nice solution for a problem that the typical skill saw can't even get close to.

Gitter Done!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
The slab outside my shop has shifted enough that the bottoms of the
barn doors were scraping and could not be opened all the way. Removing
them is a big job, so I came up with this kluge to trim the door
bottoms. Sliding the the face of the grinder guard on the concrete pad
guides the saw about 5/8" over the pad. The adapter arbor is made from
a heavy nut and large washer, trued up on the lathe after welding. A
cheap 9" carbide blade would be preferable -- the doors are 3-1/2"
thick and have screws in the bottoms -- but the steel skilsaw blade
was on hand and got the job done.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

--
Ned Simmons

Brilliant! Yet somehow...frightening. Let the candle burning at church
COMMENCE!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
The slab outside my shop has shifted enough that the bottoms of the
barn doors were scraping and could not be opened all the way. Removing
them is a big job, so I came up with this kluge to trim the door
bottoms. Sliding the the face of the grinder guard on the concrete pad
guides the saw about 5/8" over the pad. The adapter arbor is made from
a heavy nut and large washer, trued up on the lathe after welding. A
cheap 9" carbide blade would be preferable -- the doors are 3-1/2"
thick and have screws in the bottoms -- but the steel skilsaw blade
was on hand and got the job done.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

--
Ned Simmons

Man, that thing would make a great prop for the next Texas chain saw horror
movie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:51:49 -0500, the infamous "DanG"
scrawled the following:

I do know a young floor installer here that lost use of his arm
for over a year using a similar set up on a small grinder with a
smaller blade. The rig caught a nail and tendons and arm caught
the aftermath.

Yeah, that's definitely a two-handed type of saw. But it should have
had enough speed to cut right through the nail without jumping. I
wonder what happened.

The floor trimmer _should_ have been using one of the toe-kick saws
(HF #94626), a Fein Multimaster @ $400, or a HF multifunction tool
#67256 @ $35, which I own and love.

Tip: If you ever kludge up a tool like this, use the least amount of
horsepower possible so if/when it goes rogue, you can get out of the
way (or it will just stall.) Oh, and _pay_attention_ while using it.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 05:44:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:51:49 -0500, the infamous "DanG"
scrawled the following:

I do know a young floor installer here that lost use of his arm
for over a year using a similar set up on a small grinder with a
smaller blade. The rig caught a nail and tendons and arm caught
the aftermath.

Yeah, that's definitely a two-handed type of saw. But it should have
had enough speed to cut right through the nail without jumping. I
wonder what happened.

I had my wife standing by in case I hadn't anticipated all the bad
things that could happen, but with two hands on the grinder and the
guard pressed against the concrete there was no drama.

I told my wife her only function was to hold the door from swinging.
She didn't catch on that a wooden wedge could have served just as well
and that her real job was 911 dialler. g

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:53:53 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Man, that thing would make a great prop for the next Texas chain saw horror
movie

The guy who played Leatherface in the original movie was an
acquaintance. He's a good friend of a one-time business partner of
mine and my first wife dated him after we split up. There's probably a
lesson for me in that fact, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:19:34 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

I had my wife standing by in case I hadn't anticipated all the bad
things that could happen, but with two hands on the grinder and the
guard pressed against the concrete there was no drama.

I told my wife her only function was to hold the door from swinging.
She didn't catch on that a wooden wedge could have served just as well
and that her real job was 911 dialler. g

That's cold, very cold.

:-)

Many years ago, a friend of the family, who ran a saw mill, cut two fingers of
with a circular saw. He drove himself to the hospital because he didn't want
to upset his wife. Hospital then phoned his wife to ask if she could find the
fingers and drive them in, so they could try to sew them on again.
Unfortunately it was too late by the time she got them there...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:24:07 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:19:34 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

I had my wife standing by in case I hadn't anticipated all the bad
things that could happen, but with two hands on the grinder and the
guard pressed against the concrete there was no drama.

I told my wife her only function was to hold the door from swinging.
She didn't catch on that a wooden wedge could have served just as well
and that her real job was 911 dialler. g

That's cold, very cold. :-)

No, Mark. Cold would have been actually _telling_ her.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Hold my beer & watch this ... Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 54 February 23rd 10 01:16 AM
Hold my beer - I'm gonna try try something... Morris Dovey Woodworking 80 February 1st 10 07:31 PM
OT - Hold my beer while I show you something.... Jim Stewart Metalworking 9 September 24th 07 12:39 AM
OT Beer David Lang UK diy 60 July 13th 05 08:36 PM
DIY Beer Andrew McKay UK diy 47 March 22nd 05 11:40 AM