Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Q on Surplus Tool Place - Altoona-Tyrone, PA

There used to be (25 years ago before I moved) a good surplus tool
place on Rt 220 south of Tyrone on the way to Altoona. Is it still
there? I may be going out that way and want to stop if it's still
around.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Chamber of Commerce, or Better Business Bureau in that
area might know. Or you could ring up a couple machine shops
or auto parts places, and ask.

I'm in NYS, so I don't get there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
news There used to be (25 years ago before I moved) a good
surplus tool
place on Rt 220 south of Tyrone on the way to Altoona. Is
it still
there? I may be going out that way and want to stop if it's
still
around.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:20:04 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The Chamber of Commerce, or Better Business Bureau in that
area might know. Or you could ring up a couple machine shops
or auto parts places, and ask.

Probably not. Tyrone is a pretty small town. Surplus places like
that weren't likely to be members of a Chamber of Commerce and it
wasn't in Tyrone proper. It was somewhere along Rt 220 closer to
Tyrone than Altoona, but it's the kind of place that the local metal
workers would know. It had piles of end mills and drills and you
bought things by the pound. I may be in the area in the next couple
of months and wanted to stop if it was still there, but the side trip
would be a waste if it was long gone.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:28:10 -0500, Terry wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:37:44 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET... wrote:

There used to be (25 years ago before I moved) a good surplus tool place
on Rt 220 south of Tyrone on the way to Altoona. Is it still there? I
may be going out that way and want to stop if it's still around.

Surplus City! It was still there last year. They sell fasteners of all
sorts, sandpaper of every grade down to 2000 grit, files, drill bits by
the pound, hand tools, hammer handles, electrical items, lots of odds
and ends. I visit the place almost every time I'm up there.

Interstate 99 now runs parallel to "old" 220. I don't recall which exit
is closest to Surplus City.

If you type Surplus City, Tyrone, pa into google maps,
it comes up with one hit, Surplus City 2873 East Pleasant Valley
Boulevard, Altoona, PA (814) 742-8900, which might narrow it
down.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Surplus City! It was still there last year. They sell fasteners of
all sorts, sandpaper of every grade down to 2000 grit, files, drill
bits by the pound, hand tools, hammer handles, electrical items, lots
of odds and ends. I visit the place almost every time I'm up there.

Interstate 99 now runs parallel to "old" 220. I don't recall which
exit is closest to Surplus City.

Best -- Terry

Excellent. I couldn't remember the name of the place. I'd be coming
over from Huntingdon.

Hmmmm. I just found it on the internet. It looks like it was a lot
closer to Altoona than I had remembered it. I wonder if they moved to
a new building. On top of that, I see that they have a Williamsport
outlet - that's only about 40 minutes from me. I'll have to run up.
I've lived here 24 years and didn't know they had a "local" store.

Thanks
RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
There used to be (25 years ago before I moved) a good surplus tool
place on Rt 220 south of Tyrone on the way to Altoona. Is it still
there? I may be going out that way and want to stop if it's still
around.

RWL

How about that ? I remember being in that place
a long time ago.

Where are you from? I'm from State College and
had an Aunt in Hollidaysburg we visited.
...Lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:37:44 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

There used to be (25 years ago before I moved) a good surplus tool
place on Rt 220 south of Tyrone on the way to Altoona. Is it still
there? I may be going out that way and want to stop if it's still
around.

RWL

Surplus City! It was still there last year. They sell fasteners of
all sorts, sandpaper of every grade down to 2000 grit, files, drill
bits by the pound, hand tools, hammer handles, electrical items, lots
of odds and ends. I visit the place almost every time I'm up there.

Interstate 99 now runs parallel to "old" 220. I don't recall which
exit is closest to Surplus City.

Best -- Terry

OH! That's right now when we go through the area were on 99
so I had forgotten all about that place. Next summer when
we make our "annual pilgrimage" to PA, I'll try to remember
to get off and check it out. Thanks to whoever started this
about the place.
...Lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:37:40 -0600, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
There used to be (25 years ago before I moved) a good surplus tool
place on Rt 220 south of Tyrone on the way to Altoona.
RWL

How about that ? I remember being in that place
a long time ago.

Where are you from? I'm from State College and
had an Aunt in Hollidaysburg we visited.
...Lew...

Check your email. I"m pretty close by.

RWL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Being a small town, the chamber people could ask other
folks, and someone is likely to know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus