Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default MIG at home garage legality

"unix" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 10:27 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 9, 7:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

It all depends on your neighborhood. If you are close to neighbors, they
might object to the sparks and noise and smoke. Basically, you can do
anything you can get away with. But once a call has been made to zoning
or
the FD, it's on file, and after that, you're subject to fines.

Unless you live in a rural area, or have a shop removed from the house,
or
just have good neighbors, it doesn't sound like your idea is plausible.
The
first time someone makes a phone call, it's all over. And SHOULD you
have
some accidental fire and FD comes out and finds the cause, you can be
fined
pretty severely.

Steve

I have never had a problem. I do try not to make a lot of noise
before about 8 am and stopped about 8 pm. With MIG you should have
almost no smoke or sparks and very little noise, but bashing the
stainless into shape before welding could be a problem.

It isn't as if you are going to be making a lot more noise than a lawn
mower or leaf blower.

Dan

I lived in a neighborhood and did ornamental metal out of my garage before
went into business. No one complained, and it was a "tight" neighborhood,
meaning the houses were close together.

So, you may do it, and have no problems. The issue starts when ANYONE
calls
zoning and starts any paperwork. Or, God forbid, you have a fire.

Thinking back on it now, I had some great neighbors because you know how
much racket a chop saw makes, and I was doing a lot of work.

Keep it reasonable, keep it out of sight as much as possible, and hope for
the best. And don't weld at night. It's a dead give-away.

Almost no smoke or sparks from MIG and very little noise?

Steve

Thanks. Really good info. Just a follow up question..... My garage is
not attached to my house and is built into a rock hill with the front
door being the only opening. Thus, the only ventilation I have is the
front door. If I keep it closed while doing welds, will the gasses
cause problems? Plan is to do a few quick welds and open the door to
air out.

You want ventilation while welding. Get a fan. A bathroom fan would work
and run some flexible duct from the fan mounted in an exterior wall to the
weld area. Then suck the fumes as you weld. Commercially is very similar
to what is done. But good fans to exchange air in building.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"unix" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 10:27 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 9, 7:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

reply: Just remember that all that smoke goes somewhere, and some of it
ends up in your lungs. I would make an exhaust fan somewhere, and run it
while welding just to keep any smoke at a continuous low unnoticeable level.
If you stick, you will have more smoke. Don't have a strong draft on the
MIG welding area. Even those whirlybird exhausts work pretty good for
sucking out the smoke.

Steve

OT legality of strobe lights on vehicles, plus rough ride TBone Metalworking 8 February 1st 06 09:52 PM
OT legality of strobe lights on vehicles, plus rough ride Christopher Thompson Metalworking 1 February 1st 06 03:02 PM
legality of gas plumbing? Pete UK diy 13 June 15th 05 10:03 PM
Working with gas legality mickael UK diy 9 October 25th 04 10:23 PM
Query: Legality of Electrical work Peter UK diy 36 May 23rd 04 12:13 AM