Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Insurance claim....

"Existential Angst" wrote:

So the insurance adjuster finally came today, and just left, after **3
hours**, doing a very detailed survey, inside and out -- much more detailed
than the roofing companies that came out -- and left me with a pile of
papers and a check, for about $10K, about half of that for branch damage to
the slate roof, the rest for inside water damage, A/C damage, other stuff.

How long can you hold off repairs? Right now, contractors are in a buyers market as to
their services.

I mention that since the current rates might not match your adjustors programmed rates.

If it does, holding off for a while, if you can, might put a few bucks in your pocket.

As far as the check, I'd not cash it until you have a repair bill to pay. It isn't your
money in a sense and it avoids any issues where cashing the check is acceptance of a
settlement.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:22:07 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

"Existential Angst" wrote:

[...]

First, why is nobody telling him to get the work done and refund the
overage to his insurance company? Isn't that the proper thing to do?
Don't you want them to be around the next time you need them? shrug

Second, with a buyer's market, he'll get lower bids already. If he
works fast, maybe that contractor will be able to stay in business.
I've been lucky doing the smaller jobs I do because I've maintained a
decent workflow. Homebuilders are eating the proverbial caca.

Third, how is he going to give a contractor a downpayment for the
work? I demand all material costs and a bit of labor before starting.
If you aren't happy with that, go to another (probably higher) bidder.
If it's a primarily labor-intensive job, I can do with 25% down. With
my repeat clients, I'm more comfortable with a smaller down, but they
usually insist. Works for me!

Food for thought?

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

As far as the check, I'd not cash it until you have a repair bill to pay. It isn't your
money in a sense and it avoids any issues where cashing the check is acceptance of a
settlement.

First, why is nobody telling him to get the work done and refund the
overage to his insurance company? Isn't that the proper thing to do?
Don't you want them to be around the next time you need them? shrug

If you value your time, by the time you dick around getting quotes, doing research to make
sure you understand what the problem is and the pit falls, there is not much chance the
insurance company handed you too big a check.

On another note, quit often a homeowner does his own repairs and pockets the difference.
He didn't cheat the insurance company since his work has value. Might have stuck it to
the IRS though .

Second, with a buyer's market, he'll get lower bids already. If he
works fast, maybe that contractor will be able to stay in business.
I've been lucky doing the smaller jobs I do because I've maintained a
decent workflow. Homebuilders are eating the proverbial caca.

For you to reap the bounty, you have to move to where the work is. Those that are when
his storm work is, likely got a real stimulus, and it didn't come from Obama.

Third, how is he going to give a contractor a downpayment for the
work? I demand all material costs and a bit of labor before starting.
If you aren't happy with that, go to another (probably higher) bidder.
If it's a primarily labor-intensive job, I can do with 25% down. With
my repeat clients, I'm more comfortable with a smaller down, but they
usually insist. Works for me!

Food for thought?

There you have a point. I'll have to discuss how my brother gets his jobs funded when he
works with home owners. He is an electrical contractor but likely has the same set of
issues. I'll ask at Easter dinner.

Wes