Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Would you buy a new Toyota?

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:18:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 24, 1:27*am, Ted Frater wrote:

To answer the headline *question,
* no,
why,?
you cannot have *the smallest chance of a glitch that makes the car go
when you want it to stop.
Its called primary structure.
* Just because it can be done by computer doesnt mean it should be, when
simpler and 100% fail safe solutions are and have been available.
Id go so far to say I would not have one even if it was given to me for
free.

Ted.

I will take all the free ones in a heart beat.

The fuel injection needs to be done with a microprocessor, the simpler
solutions are not good enough.

I would prefer getting free Toyota's with manual transmissions, but
how hard would it be to add a kill switch for ignition system if one
was really worried about the fuel injection system failing?

Dan

Both of my Toyotas came with ignition switches.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 24, 4:00*pm, Don Foreman wrote

Both of my Toyotas came with ignition switches.

Ah. I expect that they all do, but if you shut off the ignition do
they also lock the steering wheel. For some reason I have the
impression that they locked the steering.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" writes:

On Mar 24, 4:00*pm, Don Foreman wrote

Both of my Toyotas came with ignition switches.

Ah. I expect that they all do, but if you shut off the ignition do
they also lock the steering wheel. For some reason I have the
impression that they locked the steering.

Apparently the latest ones have a spiffy green button, which you have to
hold for several seconds to convince the drivetrain to shut down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:50:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 24, 4:00*pm, Don Foreman wrote

Both of my Toyotas came with ignition switches.

Ah. I expect that they all do, but if you shut off the ignition do
they also lock the steering wheel. For some reason I have the
impression that they locked the steering.

Dan

Mine don't. Steering isn't locked until the key is extracted. I do
lose power steering if the engine stops, but steering a Corolla or
Camry is not difficult without power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

Hell no! It's a 3.5 liter V-6, 268 ponies, lights up and hauls ass
once above 3 grand. Runs the snot right back up my nose...

Thanks Don.

Amidst all the unpleasantness and threatening behaviour in this poor, sad
NG, that observation of yours gave me my first genuine belly laugh for ages.

(Still grinning...)

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:56:01 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Mar 24, 4:00*pm, Don Foreman wrote

Both of my Toyotas came with ignition switches.

Ah. I expect that they all do, but if you shut off the ignition do
they also lock the steering wheel. For some reason I have the
impression that they locked the steering.

Dan

Mine don't. Steering isn't locked until the key is extracted. I do
lose power steering if the engine stops, but steering a Corolla or
Camry is not difficult without power.

Steering is free in the ACC position of the ignition lock. Steering is
only locked in the last position, where the key can also be removed.

If it got away from you, just rotate it back (counterclockwise) one
click. You will instantly feel the power go away. Now hang on because
power assist to the steering is gone. Hopefully, you do this on a
straightaway where you can safely bring the vehicle to a stop.

I've been driving my Tundra (a recalled model) for 2 years without
incident, not even an inkling of a glitch. Nearly all of my travel is
local, so that's a lot of starts and stops, too.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:50:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 24, 4:00Â*pm, Don Foreman wrote

Both of my Toyotas came with ignition switches.

Ah. I expect that they all do, but if you shut off the ignition do
they also lock the steering wheel. For some reason I have the
impression that they locked the steering.

Dan

Not unless the gearshift is in park and/or the key is removed - al
least for the last 5 or more years.