Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Am I a fool to buy this mill/drill?

On Mar 23, 4:06*pm, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
Ah, cool! *I could make an adapter for something like this:

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=3769

You would be VERY unhappy with that vise on a milling machine. The
visible screw threads into a shaft that's loosely pinned in place by a
rod through one of the holes in the base. The clamping range is little
more than the spacing between those holes. When you remove the rod the
shaft flops around and reinserting the rod through it is tricky. If
you happen to unscrew the screw completely when trying to open the
jaws just a bit more the shaft falls down and the only halfway easy
way to reconnect it is to stand the vise up on end so you can reach in
through the bottom. Then you've lost position on the table. I'm trying
it as I type and have sticky rust inhibitor on my fingers now.

They are more useful on a surface grinder magnetic chuck or when the
whole vise is clamped in the jaws of a larger milling vise, perhaps
tilted at an angle, or you have two of them and the CNC program works
on one while you load another blank into the other.

jsw