Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stu stu is offline

Default What sort of surface plate is this?

I've just posted a picture in http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox called
"stusplate"(is it the done thing to put a direct link here?)
As you can see from the reflection of newpaper, the surface has a very fine
finish like no surface plate I have ever seen. It comes in a felt lined
lockable box. Does anyone have any idea what this sort of plate is?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:55:17 +1100, "stu" no where just yet
wrote:

I've just posted a picture in http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox called
"stusplate"(is it the done thing to put a direct link here?)
As you can see from the reflection of newpaper, the surface has a very fine
finish like no surface plate I have ever seen. It comes in a felt lined
lockable box. Does anyone have any idea what this sort of plate is?

Could be an optical flat. Your jpg doesn't show the size.
Inspection grade optical flats are typically 5 or 6" dia and
polished flat to within a fraction of the wavelength of green
light.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stu stu is offline

wrote:

I've just posted a picture in http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox called
"stusplate"(is it the done thing to put a direct link here?)
As you can see from the reflection of newpaper, the surface has a very
fine
finish like no surface plate I have ever seen. It comes in a felt lined
lockable box. Does anyone have any idea what this sort of plate is?

Could be an optical flat. Your jpg doesn't show the size.
Inspection grade optical flats are typically 5 or 6" dia and
polished flat to within a fraction of the wavelength of green
light.

Jim

So that would be pretty flat then lol
I have two, one is 170mm(7inches) x 35mm(1.5inches) thick. The other is
220mm(9inches) x 35mm(1.5inches)they are labeled "precison plate"
I thought about optical flats but I thought they were made from
glass?(although I'm not even sure I've ever seen an optical flat)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

YOu could probably sell that and use the money to get a good granite
surface place and have change left for a cup of coffee or two.

Its way overkill for most anything you would normally want to do unless
you wanted to make yourself a set of "A" quality precision gauge blocks.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:55:03 +1100, "stu" no where just yet wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I've seen one, they are glass. Not sure what you have.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:55:03 +1100, "stu" no where just yet
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Most optical flats are glass or quartz. I have a 6"dia x 1/2"
glass flat. Although your flats are opaque, bearing in mind the
polish, the thickness and the careful packaging, I still think
they are likely to be flat to optical precision standard

Jim.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:55:03 +1100, "stu" no where just yet
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Stu has a couple of toolmaker's flats. They're made with a surface that
allows a gage block to be wrung to the surface, so that clamps aren't
needed. It's frequently used in gage labs for qualifying and certifying
instruments. Standard sizes are 2" and 4", so Stu's are something pretty
special. I've seen them that big, though, in Mitutoyo's qualification lab.

If you keep that surface scratch-free, there's no better way to set up a
stack of gage blocks to extreme, certifiable, transferable accuracy.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If you keep that surface scratch-free, there's no better way to set up a
stack of gage blocks to extreme, certifiable, transferable accuracy.

To another stack for comparison? Please clarify, I'm still in learning mode tonight

Oh, since I detest the lack of proper http links,
http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox/stusplate.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox/stusplate.jpg

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If you keep that surface scratch-free, there's no better way to set up a
stack of gage blocks to extreme, certifiable, transferable accuracy.

To another stack for comparison? Please clarify, I'm still in learning
mode tonight

If you have a set of certified blocks, you can make transfers from them to
something else (a custom gage, a height gage, an electronic indicator, etc.)
and rely on the transferred dimension -- with the allowed tolerances of the
first set of gage blocks plus that of the plate.

The surfaces of these plates are lapped similarly to the gage surfaces of
gage blocks. You can apply the certified flatness of the plate, add the
cert. range of the gage blocks, and then document that height (assuming
you'd done scheduled certs. on the gage blocks) for reporting to a customer;
even a very demanding one.

A big plate like the ones that Stu has may not be in the 2 - 4 millionths
range of the smallest ones, but whatever it is, you can apply that certified
accuracy to your gaging.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stu stu is offline

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If you keep that surface scratch-free, there's no better way to set up a
stack of gage blocks to extreme, certifiable, transferable accuracy.

To another stack for comparison? Please clarify, I'm still in learning
mode tonight

Oh, since I detest the lack of proper http links,
http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox/stusplate.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox/stusplate.jpg

Wes

I wasn't sure that direct links was the done thing.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stu" no where just yet wrote:

I wasn't sure that direct links was the done thing.

There are a lot of links on Usenet, many I wouldn't click on if I didn't know the target.
If I can be as bold as saying this, we tend to trust the metalworking.com Dropbox. Most
of us are not link happy newbies just experiencing the Internet so adding the full link to
that site is just fine and saves a bit of time.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-13, Randy wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:55:03 +1100, "stu" no where just yet wrote:

[ ... ]

I thought about optical flats but I thought they were made from
glass?(although I'm not even sure I've ever seen an optical flat)

I've seen one, they are glass. Not sure what you have.

Actually -- they are quartz, not glass.

Still fully transparent -- and typically labeled around the
edge.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:31:32 -0500, john wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Need surface plates? I still have 4 of them available for cheap.

18x24s, Standrich and 2 of them are A plates.

Really cheap.

Gunner, Central and Southern Cal.

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stu stu is offline

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:31:32 -0500, john wrote:

YOu could probably sell that and use the money to get a good granite
surface place and have change left for a cup of coffee or two.

Its way overkill for most anything you would normally want to do unless
you wanted to make yourself a set of "A" quality precision gauge blocks.

John

Need surface plates? I still have 4 of them available for cheap.

18x24s, Standrich and 2 of them are A plates.

Really cheap.

Gunner, Central and Southern Cal.

Would be nice but the postage to AU would be killer.

surface plate care stu Metalworking 19 March 15th 10 12:26 AM
Surface plate maintenace Wes[_2_] Metalworking 8 March 22nd 09 01:06 AM
Surface Plate techniques geebee509 Metalworking 17 April 23rd 06 04:04 AM
Support/leveling a Surface Plate keith bowers Metalworking 6 January 12th 06 03:09 AM
Is A Used Surface Plate Good? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 29 September 6th 05 02:00 AM