Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FS: RV-8 airplane

Sadly, my father is putting up for sale the project of his life. Its an RV-8
homebuilt airplane. About fifteen years ago, I visited my dad and seen a
pile of AL sheeting and extruded AL support stock for ribs etc. I spent two
days with him fabricating one side of the vertical fin on the tail. I
thought, "there ain't no way". Well, only 6000 logged hours of work later,
it flew. He went on to outfit it with every conceivable electronic
navigation device for full IFR rating.

Here's a couples links. Kinda shows what's involved.
http://www.rv8.ch/
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-8int.htm

If you're in the market for a meticulously home built aircraft, this is one
hell-of-a deal. Here's the specs:

710- CT ASKING
PRICE---$90,000

SPECIAL AIRWOTTHINESS CERTIFICATE ------------ 09/ 13/ 00
LYCOMING ENGINE- 0-360 A1A 180 HP. ENGINE HAS 500 HOURS AS OF 2/22/10

414 HRS. INSTALLED UNISON SLICK AIRCRAFT MAGS.

OIL AND FILTER HAS BEEN CHANGED EACH 25 HRS. WITH PHILLIPS 20 W-50 OIL AND
12 OZ. AV BLEND

PLANE HAS NEAR NEW MICHELIN TIRES

I CRUISE AT 150 KNTS

HOSES

NEW FLEXIBLE IN 2009

OIL, GASOLINE, INSTRUMENT LINES

OIL COOLER, FUEL PUMP, AND CARBURATOR

RADIOS
GMA 340 AUDIO PANEL

GNS 430 GPS

GTX 327 TRANSPONDER

MX 20 MFD

GI 106 NAV. INDICATOR

ALTITUDE HOLD AUTO PILOT

CARUS 3000 V. STERILIZER

STEC C 1261-17-14 PITCH COMPUTER

STEC 0107-5 PS PITCH SERVO

STEC 0111 TRANSDUCER

GARMIN 3-4-56 GPS ANTENNA

CI-122 COMM. ANTENNA

IMC INSTRUMENTS

3 1/8" ATTITUDE INDICATOR / ELECTRIC

3 1/8" GYRO COMPASS/ ELECTRIC

3 1/8" TURN AND BANK INDICATOR / ELECTRIC

2 ¼" VERTICAL SPEED INDICATOR

SENSENICH AIRCRAFT PROPELLER

PROPELLER MODEL- 72M859-1-83

PROPELLER SERIAL NUMBER - 32942

Pics can be emailed if you're interested.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RV-8 airplane

Sorry Karl,

I know it is a hard thing to do.

Bob Swinney
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Sadly, my father is putting up for sale the project of his life. Its an RV-8
homebuilt airplane. About fifteen years ago, I visited my dad and seen a
pile of AL sheeting and extruded AL support stock for ribs etc. I spent two
days with him fabricating one side of the vertical fin on the tail. I
thought, "there ain't no way". Well, only 6000 logged hours of work later,
it flew. He went on to outfit it with every conceivable electronic
navigation device for full IFR rating.

Here's a couples links. Kinda shows what's involved.
http://www.rv8.ch/
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-8int.htm

-- snip --

I visited a friend of mine who's the engineering manager for an aircraft
sheet metal company at Aurora airport (now _there's_ metalworking! They
repair aircraft and make parts for the Sikorsky S-64, which Sikorsky no
longer supports. They've been making sheet metal and structural parts
for years; they're just about to get some of the flying surfaces ATC'd
-- so they're doing some Really Serious work there. And it's a _little
place_).

You have to drive right by Van's on the way in, so I stopped by to see
if I could cadge a tour, or at least a peek at the production floor. I
couldn't, but the receptionist did inflict me on one of their sales guys
and him on me. We were obviously from different planets -- he couldn't
imagine anyone wanting to build model airplanes when they could just as
well build full scale, while any time I want to fly full scale I
contemplate how often I crash models and the urge passes.

They do cool stuff there, though.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Dang Tim, with your interest in aviation and a good technical background, I
was about to ask you if you were interested in buying my Safari Kit
Helicopter. Reading your post above, my probability estimator says my
expected gain here is pretty low....

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Sadly, my father is putting up for sale the project of his life. Its an RV-8
homebuilt airplane. About fifteen years ago, I visited my dad and seen a
pile of AL sheeting and extruded AL support stock for ribs etc. I spent two
days with him fabricating one side of the vertical fin on the tail. I
thought, "there ain't no way". Well, only 6000 logged hours of work later,
it flew. He went on to outfit it with every conceivable electronic
navigation device for full IFR rating.

Did he loose his medical or did he decide he wasn't alert enough to continue flying?

If the former, that is sad, if the later it is still sad but he did the right thing and
you will have him with you longer. Your dad has a strong will to complete such a project.
If that will was passed off to you, you will go do well for yourself.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a couples links. Kinda shows what's involved.http://www.rv8.ch/http://www.vansair...ic/rv-8int.htm

[...]

You should put up in: rec.aviation.homebuilt
That's sad.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 7, 10:29*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 7, 6:02*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

[...]

Check rec.aviation if your not monitoring it. You got a couple
suggestions.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check rec.aviation if your not monitoring it. You got a couple
suggestions.
Karl

Thanks, I hadn't followed my post.