Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blacksmith tooling pix, hand and machine

Back in 1999, we took an ABANA European tour to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We saw lots of neat stuff. We took lots of pictures using an ancient art called "film photography". So it took a long time for me to decide to scan these babies in and process them for best results.
Here, in this new webpage, I have some pix of blacksmith tooling, both hand and machine, that, I hope, you will find of some interest:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...olGallery1.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:51:13 -0600, spaco
wrote:

Back in 1999, we took an ABANA European tour to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We saw lots of neat stuff. We took lots of pictures using an ancient art called "film photography". So it took a long time for me to decide to scan these babies in and process them for best results.
Here, in this new webpage, I have some pix of blacksmith tooling, both hand and machine, that, I hope, you will find of some interest:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...olGallery1.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Hey Pete,

NEAT!!! What was the "drive principle" of the water-powered
trip-hammer (last pix)??

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There's a big wooden drive axle (about a foot in diameter) that is
rotated by the water wheel.
For some reason I think many of that kind of water wheel run at about 9
rpm. Don't ask me why. I think this drive axle was geared so it
operated the hammer at about at about 20 blows per minute.
There were, I think, 4 short wooden pins sticking out of the axle.
As that shaft rotates, each pin pushes DOWN on the tail end of the
helve, pushing the hammer end up. When the tail of the helve comes off
the end of the pin, the helve and hammer drop to the anvil with the
speed of gravity.
Many of us had the chance to try it ourselves. The interesting thing
was that the hammer head clamps the workpiece between blows, so it takes
a lot of heat out of the work just sitting there. It's a wierd feeling
when you are used to a "modern" (1890's) Little Giant power hammer
where the hammer is only on the workpiece for small fraction of the
cycle, at 325 to 375 blows per minute.

Glad you asked,
Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

wrote:

Back in 1999, we took an ABANA European tour to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We saw lots of neat stuff. We took lots of pictures using an ancient art called "film photography". So it took a long time for me to decide to scan these babies in and process them for best results.
Here, in this new webpage, I have some pix of blacksmith tooling, both hand and machine, that, I hope, you will find of some interest:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...olGallery1.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Hey Pete,

NEAT!!! What was the "drive principle" of the water-powered
trip-hammer (last pix)??

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey again Pete,

And Thanks for the answer.

It would have taken some time and funds to construct all that I bet.
Probably allowed the blacksmith to go do some work in the middle of
the night without a helper!! You know, right after the middle of the
night argument with SWMBO !!

Tnaks a agian.

Brian Lawson.
XXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

Back in 1999, we took an ABANA European tour to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We saw lots of neat stuff. We took lots of pictures using an ancient art called "film photography". So it took a long time for me to decide to scan these babies in and process them for best results.
Here, in this new webpage, I have some pix of blacksmith tooling, both hand and machine, that, I hope, you will find of some interest:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...olGallery1.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Hey Pete,

NEAT!!! What was the "drive principle" of the water-powered
trip-hammer (last pix)??

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes. It was in a 16th century "factory" in Austria. The factory was
built on both sides of the mountain stream that fed it. The building
was about a city block long. The stream actually went under the center
of the building, but they had built an overhead flume that fed water to
the various water wheels and machines. There were walkways that
communicated with the halves of the building. You had to duck to walk
under the flume, which dripped profusely as you scrambled under it.
The floors were sorta carved out of the rock of the mountain. At
points, there would be chunks of rock sticking up 5 inches or so in the
middle of the passageways, and of course, the floor wasn't level hardly
anwhere. Quite a place!

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

wrote:

Back in 1999, we took an ABANA European tour to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We saw lots of neat stuff. We took lots of pictures using an ancient art called "film photography". So it took a long time for me to decide to scan these babies in and process them for best results.
Here, in this new webpage, I have some pix of blacksmith tooling, both hand and machine, that, I hope, you will find of some interest:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...olGallery1.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Hey Pete,

NEAT!!! What was the "drive principle" of the water-powered
trip-hammer (last pix)??

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Back in 1999, we took an ABANA European tour to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. *We saw lots of neat stuff. We took lots of pictures using an ancient art called "film photography". *So it took a long time for me to decide to scan these babies in and process them for best results.
Here, in this new webpage, I have some pix of blacksmith tooling, both hand and machine, that, I hope, you will find of some interest:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...uroToolGallery...

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Hey Pete,

NEAT!!! *What was the "drive principle" of the water-powered
trip-hammer (last pix)??

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Do you remember the name? My brother and family are in
berlin for the next 2 months and are looking for places like this to
ivsit.
Thanks
Karl