Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits

On 2010-02-25, RAM? wrote:
Ignoramus2215 wrote in news:0
:

That Series II Bridgeport mill weighs 5000 lbs, plus or minus. My
trailer axles are 6,000 lbs, which means that I will be slightly above
the rating.

The easiest way from the seller would be on a highway, which is
actually a decently paved highway. In any case, I would like to drive
slowly, like 40-45 miles an hour, this way I would get the best of
both worlds, safe slow driving and highway quality road.

My question is, how likely will the police be to hassle me for driving
too slowly, if, say, the lowest speed limit is 45 and I am going 40.

A lot will depend upon how many cars/trucks line up behind you.

Travel at "off hours" (while the cops are having their breaks) and you'll
have fewer hassles.

If you're only going across town, do it during Rush Hour since nobody'll
be able to go over 25 MPH anyway... GRIN

It will be on a Saturday, I do not expect a lot of traffic.

The problem is not only that this mill is heavy, but also that it is
TALL and top heavy. This means that any kind of bouncing is amplified
big time with more stress on the pintle, etc.

I hate driving with knee mills in this trailer. this one will be third
or fourth, noone were nearly as big. The Wells Index was under 3k
lbs.

If I recall, your trailer has a fairly high bed height and relatively
small width and length, this is why I suggested a rental equipment
trailer since they are lower, dual axle and pretty wide and long.
Perhaps consider using a rental and a quick outdoor unloading before the
final move into the garage.