Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Don Foreman: ICD Alert

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:09:16 -0600, the infamous Frnak McKenney
scrawled the following:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:25:47 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:10:30 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Feb 25, 9:50*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Oh, please, Wes. *Most of us here could deal with a WFO throttle
without a problem or crash. *Most of the affected vehicles have
4-wheel disc brakes, too. It's simply not a problem in the vast
majority of the recalled vehicles...yet.

Better think again.

Several reports now indicate that the brakes do not stop the car.

TMT

Those without reason rely on rabid reports. The brakes are quite
sufficient to overcome even the V6 engine at WOT and stop the car.

I caught part of the Congressional Hearing one one of the C-SPANx
channels the other day. The testimony of one of the witnesses, a
woman who described in great detail her experience with a "runaway"
Lexus, left me puzzled.

She clearly stated that she was able to shift into each of the car's
gears

Without overrevving the engine? What, was the throttle stuck at a
scary 05% open? CONgress would call that a runaway condition, I'm
sure.

and that doing so had no effect on the problem. She also said
that she had been unable to slow the car down using her brakes.

Since she had time to call her husband on her cell phone (presumably
a hands-free setup), whatever she was experiencing evidently lasted
for a while.

That blows the hell out of the "runaway" concept, doesn't it?

Here's my question: With a Lexus transmission, presumably an automatic,
how are you able to shift into Reverse at highway speeds? I'm fairly
certain that if I ever succeeded in doing this in a manual shifter
I'd have left evidence all over the highway in the form of fluid and
little gears.

I was stunned one day when I had reached down to feel the floor outlet
to see if the heater vent was working in my '90 F-150. I was doing
about 30mph after leaving my driveway and as my hand came back up to
the steering wheel, it hit the shifter and knocked it into reverse. In
about 2 seconds, I sat on the road in complete silence in a non-moving
truck. It had actually gone into reverse and stalled the engine,
stopping the truck. That blew me away. I had no idea that an auto
trans would allow that today, with all the other nanny crap we're
"protected" by.

I got really lucky that day and the tranny was still in one piece
after my stupid little episode.

I'll have to ask Toyota if that could happen in the Tundra, though I
doubt I'll ever accidentally hit the shifter again.

Is this an "electric" shift of some kind that would have allowed the
driver to request/demand the shift into Reverse but refused to do so?

Similarly, how would one expect a successful shift into First/Low to
affect a "runaway" engine? Wouldn't it at least have slowed down?

And why don't people run the logic of the situation and remember that
the key which starts the engine can also turn it off, IMMEDIATELY?
(Prius not included)

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 23:33:09 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Beware of gray-haired gents with grog, nitro capsules and a
slingshot...

Can you shoot one of the capsules hard enough for make it detonate?

I wonder that too. If I had any nitro capsules that mystery would
soon be resolved. I have a wrist rocket and I'm not half bad with it.

I wonder if you could shoot one in a paintball gun?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I was stunned one day when I had reached down to feel the floor outlet
to see if the heater vent was working in my '90 F-150. I was doing
about 30mph after leaving my driveway and as my hand came back up to
the steering wheel, it hit the shifter and knocked it into reverse. In
about 2 seconds, I sat on the road in complete silence in a non-moving
truck. It had actually gone into reverse and stalled the engine,
stopping the truck. That blew me away. I had no idea that an auto
trans would allow that today, with all the other nanny crap we're
"protected" by.

My 2001 Saturn will not go into an opposite gear until it feels like it. Also, in
reverse, the engine is governed low. That refusal to change direction sucks if you just
spun out on an icy road and need to go the other way to get out of on coming traffic.
Sitting there forcing your self to just let it idle for a moment is hard to do.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Feb 25, 9:50*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:29:34 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:12:26 -0800, Winston
wrote:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/F...0-civ-202.html

--Winston

Man, I'm batting 1000. *I have two Toyotas and a Boston Scientific
ICD. G *

The two toys are among the recalled models, but fortunately my ICD is
a later model not known to have problems. *

The cars can stay in your driveway, call your dealer and demand they pick those up,
install the fix and return them on their dime, glad your ICD is okay.

If you do drive the car to your dealer, small acceleration steps just to be careful and
practice shutting down in a non panic mode.

Oh, please, Wes. *Most of us here could deal with a WFO throttle
without a problem or crash. *Most of the affected vehicles have
4-wheel disc brakes, too. It's simply not a problem in the vast
majority of the recalled vehicles...yet.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong

Better think again.

Several reports now indicate that the brakes do not stop the car.

TMT

Those without reason rely on rabid reports. The brakes are quite
sufficient to overcome even the V6 engine at WOT and stop the car.

Really?

One would assume that a California Hiway Patrol officer would know how
to apply brakes...right?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703862704575099861335382140.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.