Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Mini-SUV's, what's good?

OK, got my financing arranged and looking to buy my wife a vehicle for the
$5K - $6K range. I found a 2001 Mazda Tribute in the area with a 3.0L V-6
engine, I'm wondering if that's the same engine used in the Ford Ranger that
lasts 300K miles? This Mazda is priced at about NADA book value and has
144K miles.

Any recommendations on small size SUV type vehicles as far as long life and
reliable? (4runner, Escape, Pathfinder, ...)

Thanks!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
OK, got my financing arranged and looking to buy my wife a vehicle
for the $5K - $6K range. I found a 2001 Mazda Tribute in the area
with a 3.0L V-6 engine, I'm wondering if that's the same engine used
in the Ford Ranger that lasts 300K miles? This Mazda is priced at
about NADA book value and has 144K miles.

Any recommendations on small size SUV type vehicles as far as long
life and reliable? (4runner, Escape, Pathfinder, ...)

Thanks!

RogerN

My wife likes everything but the gas mileage on her '02 ('03?) Isuzu Rodeo
Sport . Two door , sits up enough for good vision , and IIRC it's a clone of
one of the Honda offerings . Passport maybe ? And it's in the price range
you've quoted .
It has the V-6 , and only gets around 20 mpg , otherwise she loves it .
BTW , hers is the 2WD offering , it's also available in 4WD .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ci...ferwagen_2.jpg

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 19, 6:57*am, "RogerN" wrote:
OK, got my financing arranged and looking to buy my wife a vehicle for the
$5K - $6K range. *I found a 2001 Mazda Tribute in the area with a 3.0L V-6
engine, I'm wondering if that's the same engine used in the Ford Ranger that
lasts 300K miles? *This Mazda is priced at about NADA book value and has
144K miles.

Any recommendations on small size SUV type vehicles as far as long life and
reliable? *(4runner, Escape, Pathfinder, ...)

Thanks!

RogerN

If you are looking for something on the smallish side and want
something sturdy and reliable what about a Chevy Tracker 1999 -2004.
Before 1999 it was know as the Geo Tracker.

It may be too spartan and unrefined for some but to me this is a plus.

The Chevy Tracker is the same platform and engine as the Suzuki Vitara
and was built alongside in the California plant that was shared with
Toyota/Geo. You should be able to get a Chevy for a significant
discount vs. the Suzuki badge vehicle.

The 2.0 inline four is as simple as it gets and will go forever but
watch the front seal for leaking. Also available with a V6 which I am
unfamiliar with. Both auto and manual 5 speed versions have manual
shift on the fly 4WD transfer case with vacuum locking front hubs.
Make sure they engage. Body on frame construction and very capable off
road even in stock form.

You should be able to get low mileage (60K) in your price range and
something with a 144K for a lot less.

I bought a two door fixer upper on somewhat of a whim and I liked it
so much I bought another one (4DR) for my wife and she has fallen in
love with it too. Everyone that I've met that has owned one thought
highly of the car.

Steve P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

Any recommendations on small size SUV type vehicles as far as long life and
reliable? (4runner, Escape, Pathfinder, ...)

Why a suv? Do you live in the rust belt? I'm talking where cars rot away before the
powertrain dies.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"RogerN" wrote:

Any recommendations on small size SUV type vehicles as far as long life
and
reliable? (4runner, Escape, Pathfinder, ...)

Why a suv? Do you live in the rust belt? I'm talking where cars rot away
before the
powertrain dies.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

We live in the deer belt, I once hit 3 deer at one time, they darted in
front of me, one got ran over, one knocked in the ditch and another just
barely hit. I think they all got up and ran off but I think the one I ran
over was injured, I couldn't see much in the mirror. A mini SUV offers
enough height so the deer hits the grill and not the window I hope. I just
figure my wife would have less tendency to try to dodge small animals and a
better chance of not being injured if she hits a deer.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
RogerN wrote:
[...]

I agree. We recently bought a 2004 Honda Passport (same as Isuzu
Ranger?) and think it is great. Cost around $ 4200, dunno what the
MPG is.

technomaNge
--
Due to anticipated high turnout in 2010's election,
the Electorial College has scheduled:

Nov. 1, 2010 All Independents vote.
Nov. 2, 2010 All Republicans vote.
Nov. 3, 2010 All Democrats vote.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 05:57:04 -0600, RogerN wrote:

OK, got my financing arranged and looking to buy my wife a vehicle for
the $5K - $6K range. I found a 2001 Mazda Tribute in the area with a
3.0L V-6 engine, I'm wondering if that's the same engine used in the
Ford Ranger that lasts 300K miles? This Mazda is priced at about NADA
book value and has 144K miles.

Any recommendations on small size SUV type vehicles as far as long life
and reliable? (4runner, Escape, Pathfinder, ...)

Thanks!

RogerN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ci...ferwagen_2.jpg

--
www.wescottdesign.com

I showed my wife some of the military vehicles on eBay motors, she gave me
"The Look" !

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

We live in the deer belt, I once hit 3 deer at one time, they darted in
front of me, one got ran over, one knocked in the ditch and another just
barely hit. I think they all got up and ran off but I think the one I ran
over was injured, I couldn't see much in the mirror. A mini SUV offers
enough height so the deer hits the grill and not the window I hope. I just
figure my wife would have less tendency to try to dodge small animals and a
better chance of not being injured if she hits a deer.

You need to tell her, hit the brakes, steer straight, hope for the best. Her life is more
important than the deers. In my state, you call it in and get to keep the deer for your
troubles after the authorities come out.

I have a coworker that hit two deer. One went though the windshield. That wasn't pretty,
deer was still alive and a bit p*ss*d. He got a bit of a beating. The second one was
found later by a deputy that brought it to him a few hours later, laying across the hood
of the cruiser. You might be a redneck if...

Fwiw, I'm dead eye dick when it comes to deer (always managed to brake and avoid) but a
bunny rabbit or a kitty that can't hurt me seems to get under my pre-planned defensive
strategy.

I've had one major strike on wildlife. A hen turkey. 700+ damage, only took out a
fender. A few more inches, fender, hood, windshield. Someone got rich off of that
encounter. Those plastic fenders on Saturns do shatter if hit hard enough.

I live in the deer, turkey, and rust belt.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"RogerN" wrote:

Any recommendations on small size SUV type vehicles as far as long life
and
reliable? (4runner, Escape, Pathfinder, ...)

Why a suv? Do you live in the rust belt? I'm talking where cars rot away
before the
powertrain dies.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

We live in the deer belt, I once hit 3 deer at one time, they darted in
front of me, one got ran over, one knocked in the ditch and another just
barely hit. I think they all got up and ran off but I think the one I ran
over was injured, I couldn't see much in the mirror. A mini SUV offers
enough height so the deer hits the grill and not the window I hope. I just
figure my wife would have less tendency to try to dodge small animals and a
better chance of not being injured if she hits a deer.

She needs a duece & a half. Just hose off the blood, and keep
driving it.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 21, 1:26*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
She needs a duece & a half. Just hose off the blood, and keep
driving it.

I drove one in Germany, an M109 like this:
http://www.tacticaltruck.com/images_other/m109a3.jpg

Flat out they'd do 60, which wasn't unreasonable for trucks in the
slow lane of the Autobahn. The terrorist threat was high enough that
we carried loaded M-16s or .45s, We felt invincible until we saw the
Polizei setting up sandbagged machine gun nests at interchanges.

There was a legend that one had once crushed a VW without even
noticing it.

I found that having rifles in the cab was a constant reminder to drive
carefully and politely to avoid incidents, benevolence is easy when
you're the king. But we were soldiers who had learned to work well
together and perform complex tasks. Have you noticed that the faction
that opposes guns is the one that floods this group with hate-filled
attempts to aggravate strangers, then denies responsibility and blames
anyone who disagrees with them? Considering their disgruntled attitude
I agree, they shouldn't own anything dangerous including scissors.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We bought a vehicle Saturday. I was looking through ads and updating
craigslist every half hour or so, a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited came up
on Craigslist for $5000 with 138K miles, it looked like what we were
wanting. We went to look at it, test drove, all seemed great, a few minor
problems but very good condition for 10 years old and 138K miles. My wife
will be driving less than 10K miles per year and if we get at least 3 years
out of it we'll be OK. It has the V8 engine and full of fancy stuff, heated
leather power seats, heated power mirrors, 10CD changer... I haven't seen
such luxury since I rode in my Grandpa's Lincoln town car. The NADA book
value was over $6600, most dealer vehicles I looked at were priced over book
value so this seemed pretty good for $5000.

Thanks you all for the recommendations, it gave me ideas of what to look
for. This was the only thing that came up in the area with the best price,
year, NADA value, mileage.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Feb 21, 1:26 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
She needs a duece & a half. Just hose off the blood, and keep
driving it.

I drove one in Germany, an M109 like this:
http://www.tacticaltruck.com/images_other/m109a3.jpg

I never drove one, but I have ridden in the back of one with full
field gear and my M16.

Flat out they'd do 60, which wasn't unreasonable for trucks in the
slow lane of the Autobahn. The terrorist threat was high enough that
we carried loaded M-16s or .45s, We felt invincible until we saw the
Polizei setting up sandbagged machine gun nests at interchanges.

I drove a Chevy step van with a Union City body for years, which is a
heavy truck built on a chassis similar to a school bus. It was 6150
pounds empty, and I have hauled 9,000 pounds in it (With non commercial
tags).

There was a legend that one had once crushed a VW without even
noticing it.

Only if they were asleep. It would knock their cup of coffee over.
;-)

I found that having rifles in the cab was a constant reminder to drive
carefully and politely to avoid incidents, benevolence is easy when
you're the king. But we were soldiers who had learned to work well
together and perform complex tasks. Have you noticed that the faction
that opposes guns is the one that floods this group with hate-filled
attempts to aggravate strangers, then denies responsibility and blames
anyone who disagrees with them? Considering their disgruntled attitude
I agree, they shouldn't own anything dangerous including scissors.

Yes and the only clothes they should own are coats with very long
sleeves.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it's working for you.
That's really all that matters...

Richard

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 4:12*am, Steve Ackman
wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 06:16:24 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins,
wrote:
On Feb 21, 1:26*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:...

* Me too. *[M109] Mine had a lathe in the back (w/milling
att. and grinding att), a workbench, and a lot of
drawers for tooling.

Was it the Versa-Mill attachment described in the Army Machine Tool
Manual?
http://www.metalwebnews.com/machine-tools/ch9.pdf

I bought a laminate trimmer to mount on the slide to imitate those,
but haven't needed to set it up yet. How useful was it?

I never saw Army machine tools, or even the tool kits for most of the
vehicles. Vietnam had priority and they took everything. We had to buy
wiper blades locally and the jeeps were full of J C Whitney parts,
making them too fast to drive safely. Jeeps do NOT corner like the
BMWs that winding German back roads are perfect for. The motor pool
dumped the wrecks back in their assigned parking spots as a reminder.

I only needed that truck to lock the crypto in its safe.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 04:23:35 -0800 (PST), the infamous Jim Wilkins
scrawled the following:

wrote:...

* Me too. *[M109] Mine had a lathe in the back (w/milling
att. and grinding att), a workbench, and a lot of
drawers for tooling.

Was it the Versa-Mill attachment described in the Army Machine Tool
Manual?
http://www.metalwebnews.com/machine-tools/ch9.pdf

I bought a laminate trimmer to mount on the slide to imitate those,
but haven't needed to set it up yet. How useful was it?

I never saw Army machine tools, or even the tool kits for most of the
vehicles. Vietnam had priority and they took everything. We had to buy
wiper blades locally and the jeeps were full of J C Whitney parts,
making them too fast to drive safely. Jeeps do NOT corner like the
BMWs that winding German back roads are perfect for. The motor pool
dumped the wrecks back in their assigned parking spots as a reminder.

Bwahahahaha! Jeeps aren't very much worse than those overrated pieces
of German crap (beemers), Jim.

--
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt."
-- Clarence Darrow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 2:51*pm, Steve Ackman
...Once it was discovered I
I "knew computers," I was yanked out of there like a
bad act off the Gong Show. *The new CO had just bought
a Kaypro XT ...

I was in earlier, when "computer" meant a fold-out trailer full of
Burroughs racks and several full-time engineers to keep it running,
well paid I'm sure. It had a 14" hard disk drive under a bronzed plexi
dome in the center of the trailer that looked like some sacred heathen
temple idol from an Indiana Jones film.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 4:07*pm, Steve Ackman
a half hour just to key-in the bootup sequence. *
Teletype, paper tape, reel-to-reel...

Ouch.

My first homebrew computer booted that miserable way until I acquired
some sample 6116 CMOS memory (2Kx8) that held data with NiCads. Then
it would hibernate, what an improvement!

jsw