Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Socket on a stick

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:24:25 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:11:06 -0800, Jon Danniken wrote:

Here a tool I made this week, I call it a socket on a stick. I made it
to attach the water lines to my bathroom sink, as there isn't enough
clearance up there to tighten it with a wrench (you can barely get yer
fingers up in there).

The socket was fifty cents from a pawnshop, which was cut using a thin
abrasive disk in an angle grinder. I left a small shoulder on the base
of the socket to keep it from sliding off of the hexagon nut it will
tighten.

The socket and the stick were welded together using 6013 GMAW rod and a
Miller buzzbox; I was very surprised at how easy it was to weld these
together (yes my welds look like turkeysh*t, but they will function in
this application).

Here's a few more thousand words:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick04.jpg

Jon

So like a crow's foot, only a lot weaker?

(Ignore the snarkiness -- that's just to keep in shape).

Sometimes a tool like this will fit where a crow's foot won't. I've
made and used tools like this. One such was for the top of the rear
struts of VW Rabbits.

As you frequently come to this group with questions for free help to
aid your quests for profit on EBay, perhaps you snarkiness might be
better practiced elsewhere?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KG KG is offline

wrote:

[...]

One HELL of a great IDEA, thanks
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever under estimate the incompetent.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:24:32 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:24:25 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:11:06 -0800, Jon Danniken wrote:
Here a tool I made this week, I call it a socket on a stick. I made
it to attach the water lines to my bathroom sink, as there isn't
enough clearance up there to tighten it with a wrench

[snip]
Here's a few more thousand words:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SocketStick04.jpg

Jon

So like a crow's foot, only a lot weaker?

(Ignore the snarkiness -- that's just to keep in shape).

[snip]
As you frequently come to this group with questions for free help to
aid your quests for profit on EBay, perhaps you snarkiness might be
better practiced elsewhere?

I haven't seen any such posts [info requests to aid and abet ebay
selling] by Tim Wescott -- perhaps you are thinking of someone else?

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 05:28:50 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

[...]

You are absolutely right. I was thinking of Mr. Noble. My apologies
to Tim for my senior brainfart and thank you for noticing.