Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are fiber rope crimps called?

What are those compressed/crimped wire rope clips for fiber rope
called? They overlap by about half the circumference of the clip and
have flat tips. It's a cheap fast way to make eyes for noncritical
stuff. We're looking for the clips and a manual crimper. Searching is
hard because of "wire rope". So I need a name or link.
I did a search for hog rings but they either butt at the ends or the
points go past each other. I don't want sharp points because these are
going to be used with animals.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/rope_clips.jpg

We may end up using these:
http://www.raraequus.com/productcart...3&idproduct=92
Thanks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 13, 6:16�pm, " wrote:
What are those compressed/crimped wire rope clips for fiber rope
called? They overlap by about half the circumference of the clip and
have flat tips. It's a cheap fast way to make eyes for noncritical
stuff. We're looking for the clips and a manual crimper. Searching is
hard because of "wire rope". So I need a name or link.
I did a search for hog rings but they either butt at the ends or the
points go past each other. I don't want sharp points because these are
going to be used with animals.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/rope_clips.jpg

We may end up using these:http://www.raraequus.com/productcart...ategory=13&idp...
Thanks
Karl

mcmaster.com, page 1401 to get started.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
What are those compressed/crimped wire rope clips for fiber rope
called? They overlap by about half the circumference of the clip and
have flat tips. It's a cheap fast way to make eyes for noncritical
stuff. We're looking for the clips and a manual crimper. Searching is
hard because of "wire rope". So I need a name or link.
I did a search for hog rings but they either butt at the ends or the
points go past each other. I don't want sharp points because these are
going to be used with animals.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/rope_clips.jpg

We may end up using these:
http://www.raraequus.com/productcart...3&idproduct=92
Thanks
Karl

Well the new version is about all I've seen. If your using them for
leads and reins and things other than load bearing I don't see why you
couldn't make up sleeves out of proper sized seamless tubing. Simply
select a size that secures the rope ends when you compress the center
into a figure 8. For a cheap crimper get a HF set of cable/bolt cutters
and grind the jaws to fit the rope and sleeves.

Or learn how to use a marlin spike and make spliced eyes...
http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?page=28
http://www.boatered.com/Splicing.pdf
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:09:32 -0500, Steve W. wrote:

wrote:
What are those compressed/crimped wire rope clips for fiber rope
called? They overlap by about half the circumference of the clip and
have flat tips. It's a cheap fast way to make eyes for noncritical
stuff. We're looking for the clips and a manual crimper. Searching is
hard because of "wire rope". So I need a name or link. [snip]
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/rope_clips.jpg

We may end up using these:
http://www.raraequus.com/productcart...3&idproduct=92

Well the new version is about all I've seen. If your using them for
leads and reins and things other than load bearing I don't see why you
couldn't make up sleeves out of proper sized seamless tubing. Simply
select a size that secures the rope ends when you compress the center
into a figure 8. For a cheap crimper get a HF set of cable/bolt cutters
and grind the jaws to fit the rope and sleeves.

Might also consider PEX crimp rings. Like near the middle of
http://www.pexsupply.com/PEX-Crimp-Tools-Rings-694000. The
rings for half-inch PEX are about .75" OD, .62" ID, .33" long,
burr free, no seams, copper. They run about $5 for a pack of
25, IIRC, at local HW stores.

Or learn how to use a marlin spike and make spliced eyes...
http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?page=28
http://www.boatered.com/Splicing.pdf

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I can splice but right at the moment we're looking at solid braid. How
would you like to put 2 of these splices in a product that sells for
$15?
http://books.google.com/books?id=RMS...20rope&f=false

I just looked at the Nicopress ones. That's a bit of overkill.
We're looking for off the shelf and cheap.
Thanks
Karl