Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Covering crimps for plastering over

Hi. I want to extend some (2.5mm2) cable and intend to crimp the
connections (using a proper ratchet tool, before anyone says!). The crimps
will then be buried in plaster.

I'll be using the insulated blue butt crimps but would like to know if extra
protection is needed around them before sloshing wet plaster over them.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to extend some (2.5mm2) cable and intend to crimp the
connections (using a proper ratchet tool, before anyone says!). The
crimps will then be buried in plaster.

I'll be using the insulated blue butt crimps but would like to know if
extra protection is needed around them before sloshing wet plaster over
them.

Some heatshrink sleeving covering the whole joint would do no harm.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Steve" writes:
Hi. I want to extend some (2.5mm2) cable and intend to crimp the
connections (using a proper ratchet tool, before anyone says!). The crimps
will then be buried in plaster.

I'll be using the insulated blue butt crimps but would like to know if extra
protection is needed around them before sloshing wet plaster over them.

I always thread cables in oval trunking, and crimps are fine
in that. You stagger them to avoid a single bulbus lump.
If they're directly embedded in plaster and it were to ever
get damp, you'll end up with a hard to diagnose RCD tripping
problem.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I want to extend some (2.5mm2) cable and intend to crimp the
connections (using a proper ratchet tool, before anyone says!). The
crimps will then be buried in plaster.

clipped
..
..
..
Thanks chaps. I'll go for the oval as I've already got some somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to extend some (2.5mm2) cable and intend to crimp the
connections (using a proper ratchet tool, before anyone says!). The crimps
will then be buried in plaster.

I'll be using the insulated blue butt crimps but would like to know if extra
protection is needed around them before sloshing wet plaster over them.

You need two layers of insulation - one round the wire (the insulated
crimp takes care of that), and a second overall sheath. If your cable is
not in plastic trunking of some sort then heatshrink tubing is the
easiest way to do it.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ing#Heatshrink

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:58:17 -0000, Steve wrote:

Thanks chaps. I'll go for the oval as I've already got some somewhere.

Simple and cheap. But bear in mind what Mr Gabriel said about damp and
untraceable RCD trips. I'd be tempted to put a squodge of silicon in each
end of the oval.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:58:17 -0000, Steve wrote:

Thanks chaps. I'll go for the oval as I've already got some somewhere.

Simple and cheap. But bear in mind what Mr Gabriel said about damp and
untraceable RCD trips. I'd be tempted to put a squodge of silicon in each
end of the oval.

And don't forget that unset silicone sealant is quite conductive, should one
get a bit over liberal with it ;-

Bit of tape round each end might be another solution to keeping wet plaster
out.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm
writes
Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to extend some (2.5mm2) cable and intend to crimp the
connections (using a proper ratchet tool, before anyone says!). The crimps
will then be buried in plaster.

I'll be using the insulated blue butt crimps but would like to know if extra
protection is needed around them before sloshing wet plaster over them.

You need two layers of insulation - one round the wire (the insulated
crimp takes care of that), and a second overall sheath. If your cable is
not in plastic trunking of some sort then heatshrink tubing is the
easiest way to do it.

For me, adhesive lined heatshrink makes the ideal finish, you are
reinstating the continuous water resistant (proof?) sheath on the cable.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , John Rumm
writes
Steve wrote:
Hi. I want to extend some (2.5mm2) cable and intend to crimp the
connections (using a proper ratchet tool, before anyone says!). The
crimps
will then be buried in plaster.

I'll be using the insulated blue butt crimps but would like to know
if extra
protection is needed around them before sloshing wet plaster over them.

You need two layers of insulation - one round the wire (the insulated
crimp takes care of that), and a second overall sheath. If your cable is
not in plastic trunking of some sort then heatshrink tubing is the
easiest way to do it.

For me, adhesive lined heatshrink makes the ideal finish, you are
reinstating the continuous water resistant (proof?) sheath on the cable.

Yup, that works nicely, although possibly overkill in many situations.
(the ordinary stuff will make a nice tight seal on the cable if you
extend it past the joint a couple of inches each way).

If you need to improvise adhesive lined heatshrink, then shaving a few
slithers off a hotmelt gluestick and slipping them inside the tube
alongside the cable before you shrink it also works well. As you heat it
to shrink the tube the glue melts and flows round the inside.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm
writes
fred wrote:

For me, adhesive lined heatshrink makes the ideal finish, you are
reinstating the continuous water resistant (proof?) sheath on the cable.

Yup, that works nicely, although possibly overkill in many situations.
(the ordinary stuff will make a nice tight seal on the cable if you
extend it past the joint a couple of inches each way).

True for the plastering, I like it for the strain relief on joints that
aren't going to be buried.

If you need to improvise adhesive lined heatshrink, then shaving a few
slithers off a hotmelt gluestick and slipping them inside the tube
alongside the cable before you shrink it also works well. As you heat it
to shrink the tube the glue melts and flows round the inside.

Nice improv & dismount, I'll keep that in mind for when I can't find the
lined stuff. How about gooping with hotmelt then applying the sleeving
and shrinking to re-melt?
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

If you need to improvise adhesive lined heatshrink, then shaving a few
slithers off a hotmelt gluestick and slipping them inside the tube
alongside the cable before you shrink it also works well. As you heat it
to shrink the tube the glue melts and flows round the inside.

Nice improv & dismount, I'll keep that in mind for when I can't find the
lined stuff. How about gooping with hotmelt then applying the sleeving
and shrinking to re-melt?

Yup, that works as well... I have a mini blowtorch kit I got from maplin
many years back, that has a glue gun attachment. The attachment I never
seem to use, but the dinky glue sticks that came with it are ideal for
this sort of thing - just heat the end of one, and wipe it down the wire
to deposit some gloop.

--
Cheers,

John.