Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blacksmithing content:Decorative ironwork on Isla Mujeres, Mexico

We spend some time in Mexico and I did a survey of decorative ironwork
on Isla Mujeres, the "Women's Island" which is a few miles off shore
from Cancun, Mexico. This page shows how widely the work varies, in
age, style, attention to detail, etc.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...esIronWork.htm

There isn't nearly as much Spanish influence in this part of Mexico as
there is in other parts. The local people tell us that they want to
showcase their Mayan roots. They are still pretty unhappy with the
Spanish, they say. That, I guess, is why you don't see much genuine
16th-18th century ironwork around. I think the oldest Christian church
on Cozumel is from the 1800's, for example.

Pete Stanaitis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...IronWork/IslaM...

There isn't nearly as much Spanish influence in this part of Mexico as
there is in other parts. *The local people tell us that they want to
showcase their Mayan roots. *They are still pretty unhappy with the
Spanish, they say. * That, I guess, is why you don't see much genuine
16th-18th century ironwork around. *I think the oldest Christian church
on Cozumel is from the 1800's, for example.

Pete Stanaitis

How about some pictures of the windows of the local jail?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

We spend some time in Mexico and I did a survey of decorative ironwork
on Isla Mujeres, the "Women's Island" which is a few miles off shore
from Cancun, Mexico. This page shows how widely the work varies, in
age, style, attention to detail, etc.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...esIronWork.htm

A number of those gates looked like they were designed for security and ventilation. The
art part of it conceals one of the practical purposes.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
news
We spend some time in Mexico and I did a survey of decorative ironwork on
Isla Mujeres, the "Women's Island" which is a few miles off shore from
Cancun, Mexico. This page shows how widely the work varies, in age,
style, attention to detail, etc.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...esIronWork.htm

There isn't nearly as much Spanish influence in this part of Mexico as
there is in other parts. The local people tell us that they want to
showcase their Mayan roots. They are still pretty unhappy with the
Spanish, they say. That, I guess, is why you don't see much genuine
16th-18th century ironwork around. I think the oldest Christian church on
Cozumel is from the 1800's, for example.

Pete Stanaitis

Is this work solid stock or tubing?

If it is solid stock, it's average with a couple of pieces better than that.
If it is tubing, it's something anyone with a minimal amount of experience
could do. From all the work I saw down there, MIG hasn't reached Mexico
yet.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The older work tends to be solid, but the recent work is tubing, from
what I see.

As far as MIG goes, I see mostly buzz boxes. Maybe I will look again
later this week.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

Steve B wrote:

Is this work solid stock or tubing?

If it is solid stock, it's average with a couple of pieces better than that.
If it is tubing, it's something anyone with a minimal amount of experience
could do. From all the work I saw down there, MIG hasn't reached Mexico
yet.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

Wes wrote:

A number of those gates looked like they were designed for security and ventilation. The
art part of it conceals one of the practical purposes.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
news
We spend some time in Mexico and I did a survey of decorative ironwork on
Isla Mujeres, the "Women's Island" which is a few miles off shore from
Cancun, Mexico. This page shows how widely the work varies, in age,
style, attention to detail, etc.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...esIronWork.htm

There isn't nearly as much Spanish influence in this part of Mexico as
there is in other parts. The local people tell us that they want to
showcase their Mayan roots. They are still pretty unhappy with the
Spanish, they say. That, I guess, is why you don't see much genuine
16th-18th century ironwork around. I think the oldest Christian church on
Cozumel is from the 1800's, for example.

Pete Stanaitis

something i'd like to know, where is this stuff is made? hand forged iron
work.

http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.as...%20Steel*0@ @

i wonder if it's made in mexico, south america somewhere or china (!?).
i've liked their "leaves" and wanted to order some just to have it around.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:14:32 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

spaco wrote:

We spend some time in Mexico and I did a survey of decorative ironwork
on Isla Mujeres, the "Women's Island" which is a few miles off shore
from Cancun, Mexico. This page shows how widely the work varies, in
age, style, attention to detail, etc.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...esIronWork.htm

A number of those gates looked like they were designed for security and ventilation. The
art part of it conceals one of the practical purposes.

I really liked Gate 15.

Gate 17 looked like something I'd see in Tijuana.

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.