Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hi temp zip tie

I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe and
bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need to
attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot Florida
sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and copper
conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe
and bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need
to attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot
Florida sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and
copper conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Small s/s hose clamp?

What about just some wire, heat sink compound and then wrap in self-adhesive
fibreglass tape, then if needed insulate it from the weather.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 01:48:10 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe
and bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater.
Need to attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the
hot Florida sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor
and copper conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Getting distracted from the greenhouse temperature regulation? Or are
you done?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dorman Conduct-Tite 83915 10-pak 8" Heavy Duty Wire Ties made of stainless
steel.

I found 'em at a local TSC Tractor Supply Co store, but they were clearance
priced, so they were likely disconinued, or a cheaper source was found.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe
and bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need
to attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot
Florida sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and
copper conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 01:48:10 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe and
bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need to
attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot Florida
sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and copper
conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Stainless wire ties
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10625/10002/-1?CT=999

Have a layer of insulation or tape between the tie and the copper
pipes to prevent electrolytic corrosion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe and
bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need to
attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot Florida
sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and copper
conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Aircraft safety wire, 8 turns per inch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Getting distracted from the greenhouse temperature regulation? Or are
you done?

Most definitely distracted. Long story short, had to move with Julie in the
hospital and misplaced everything. She got out yesterday and is already
putting my life back in order. I'll do this little job for my landlord and
get back on the controller.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
Dorman Conduct-Tite 83915 10-pak 8" Heavy Duty Wire Ties made of
stainless steel.

I found 'em at a local TSC Tractor Supply Co store, but they were
clearance priced, so they were likely disconinued, or a cheaper source
was found.

That is still a good number.
it is part of the Motormite Help! line, red packages.
under $5.00 retail. Most of the parts stores carry that line, but it's a
slow mover so you may not find one in a local store.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl,

I am very sorry to hear your wife has been ailing. Now she is out of hospital and hopefully on the
mend.

Best regards,

Bob Swinney
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Getting distracted from the greenhouse temperature regulation? Or are
you done?

Most definitely distracted. Long story short, had to move with Julie in the
hospital and misplaced everything. She got out yesterday and is already
putting my life back in order. I'll do this little job for my landlord and
get back on the controller.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 1:48*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe and
bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need to
attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot Florida
sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and copper
conduit. *Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

I would machine a block to fit one side of the pipe and drill a hole
for the sensor, so its lead wires are also at the measured temperature
and don't cool it. The block could attach with a U bolt.

Then wrap it with fiberglass under metal duct tape. The Foilmastic
tape from Home Depot on my solar collector has stood up to sunlight
quite well for 4 years. It tears easily, though.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 6:48*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe and
bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need to
attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot Florida
sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and copper
conduit. *Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Do you have any stainless mig wire?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water
heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe and
bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need to
attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot Florida
sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and copper
conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1760k77/=5oipt5

Ah...why not simply use a pair of radiator hose clamps????

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Optimum boiler temp and hot water temp Steve S \(another one\) UK diy 20 March 15th 08 09:34 AM
Low Temp CFL Al Schmidt Home Repair 4 September 25th 07 03:17 PM
TRV temp control or Boiler temp control? Edward Holt UK diy 11 November 19th 06 11:41 PM
low temp snap action temp switch needed Albert Electronics Repair 4 November 15th 04 02:25 AM
Designing a circuit to control heater output temp depending on temp of an input James Electronics 18 April 7th 04 04:12 PM