Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TRV temp control or Boiler temp control?

I've just had a condensing Worcester 24i junior installed.

If I control the room temperature using the TRVs (as advised) what should I
set the temperature control on the boiler to be?

I've got a digital timer on it, I've got a small radiator near the boiler
without a TRV but I've not got a room temperature control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Edward Holt" writes:
I've just had a condensing Worcester 24i junior installed.

If I control the room temperature using the TRVs (as advised) what should I
set the temperature control on the boiler to be?

Most efficient boiler operation is to have the water as cool as
you can whilst it is still able to heat the house. You will need
to turn the water temperature up higher as the outdoor temperature
drops, and also if you are heating up the house from cold. Exactly
what that temperature is depends how large your radiators are. If
they were designed for a condensing boiler, it might be as low as
45C (which is what I use), but if they predate the condensing
boiler, you might need the water hotter in order for the radiators
to get enough heat transferred into the rooms. Try turning it down
until the house starts getting colder, and then turn it up a little.

I've got a digital timer on it, I've got a small radiator near the boiler
without a TRV but I've not got a room temperature control.

Sounds like the installation does not conform to Part L. There
should be something to stop the boiler firing up when there is
no demand for heat, and that's usually done with a room stat
in one room which doesn't have TRV's fitted. Does the radiator
with no TRV stay hot all the time?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Holt" writes:
[...]

Thanks for the good advice.

I'm in Scotland and this combi is a replacement for a non-condensing Ariston
unit which failed after 10 years.

The radiator without the TRV does stay warm - very warm, easily the hottest
one in the house (it's in the hall).

I was concerned that if I had the heating on the boiler set to max then the
TRV would reject the hot water and the radiator without the TRV would get
all hot water and get dangerously hot. I guess that having a room stat would
avoid this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Edward Holt" writes:

Thanks for the good advice.

I'm in Scotland and this combi is a replacement for a non-condensing Ariston
unit which failed after 10 years.

In that case, Part L may not apply (I don't know the Scotish equivalent).

The radiator without the TRV does stay warm - very warm, easily the hottest
one in the house (it's in the hall).

I was concerned that if I had the heating on the boiler set to max then the
TRV would reject the hot water and the radiator without the TRV would get
all hot water and get dangerously hot. I guess that having a room stat would
avoid this?

It would avoid wasting energy when the hall doesn't need any more
heat. Ideally, you would have it in the room which is slowest to
heat up, so it doesn't switch off until the others are up to temp,
but it must go in the room with no TRV, the hall in your case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward Holt" writes:

[...]

Interesting - I'll look into buying one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Edward Holt
writes
I've just had a condensing Worcester 24i junior installed.

24 CDi ?

the 24i isn't condensing

If I control the room temperature using the TRVs (as advised) what should I
set the temperature control on the boiler to be?

Academic as far as the room temp is concerned, however, the hotter you
set the boiler, the faster response you'll get

I've got a digital timer on it, I've got a small radiator near the boiler
without a TRV but I've not got a room temperature control.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Edward Holt
writes
I've just had a condensing Worcester 24i junior installed.

24 CDi ?

the 24i isn't condensing

If I control the room temperature using the TRVs (as advised) what should
set the temperature control on the boiler to be?

Academic as far as the room temp is concerned, however, the hotter you set
the boiler, the faster response you'll get

I've got a digital timer on it, I've got a small radiator near the boiler
without a TRV but I've not got a room temperature control.

--
geoff

I think it's full name is Worcester Greenstar 24i junior which is
condensing.

Interesting point about the faster response - I take it the down side is
that my radiator without a TRV will be consuming the extra energy when the
TRV enable radiators reach temperature?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Edward Holt
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Edward Holt
writes
I've just had a condensing Worcester 24i junior installed.

24 CDi ?

the 24i isn't condensing

If I control the room temperature using the TRVs (as advised) what should
set the temperature control on the boiler to be?

Academic as far as the room temp is concerned, however, the hotter you set
the boiler, the faster response you'll get

I've got a digital timer on it, I've got a small radiator near the boiler
without a TRV but I've not got a room temperature control.

--
geoff

I think it's full name is Worcester Greenstar 24i junior which is
condensing.

Interesting point about the faster response - I take it the down side is
that my radiator without a TRV will be consuming the extra energy when the
TRV enable radiators reach temperature?

Yes, but the boiler should quickly reach it's own cut off temp

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Edward Holt
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Edward Holt
writes
[...]

aaaahhh... no one ever told me that the boiler would cut off once it reached
it's desired temperature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Edward Holt
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Edward Holt
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Edward Holt
writes
[...]

Well actually I was bull****ting, it keeps on heating until the heat
exchange melts

--
geoff

Simple boiler control for off-grid? Nicolas Boretos UK diy 3 November 29th 05 04:28 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM