Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fender washers.... funny thing...

Awl --

So ahm lookin fer fender washers at a good local hardware store -- imagine
DAT -- and readily find what I'm looking for, 1/4 x 1".

Loose, they go for 16c each.... holy ****.....

A 5# box, which I estimate holds about 1,000, cost $14 -- a price diff of a
factor of 10!

SO, even tho I only needed one, I bought the box....

But, dats not the inneresting part.

In the box, I noticed that there were some wide variations in thickness.
Off the cuff, I found one that was .054, and another that was .074.
Visually, the thicker one looks TWICE as thick as the thinner one.

So, from whence cometh this big big diff in thickness? I assume these are
all being punched from sheet, and sheet thicknesses are usually within a
cupla thou, afaik.

Whazzup?

--
EA

A funny thing happened to me on the way to Norwich... The Natural Philosopher UK diy 48 February 13th 08 01:06 PM
Fender Guitars geoff UK diy 0 November 14th 07 08:49 PM
Flourescent tubes, funny thing Blue Home Repair 3 June 25th 05 07:38 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 11:45 PM