Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fender washers.... funny thing...

On Jan 29, 2:14*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

So ahm lookin fer fender washers at a good local hardware store -- imagine
DAT -- and readily find what I'm looking for, 1/4 x 1".

Loose, they go for 16c each.... *holy ****.....

A 5# box, which I estimate holds about 1,000, cost $14 -- a price diff of a
factor of 10!

SO, even tho I only needed one, I bought the box.... *

But, dats not the inneresting part.

In the box, I noticed that there were some wide variations in thickness.
Off the cuff, I found one that was .054, and another that was .074.
Visually, the thicker one looks TWICE as thick as the thinner one.

So, from whence cometh this big big diff in thickness? *I assume these are
all being punched from sheet, and sheet thicknesses are usually within a
cupla thou, afaik.

Whazzup?

--
EA

I am seen that variation also.

I have seen a differece of over 3x thickness.

My theory is fender washers are punched from what every surplus sheet
is available.

(I imagine this image of all the cars parked by the fender washer
factory with holes in them from the washers punched out from
them. ;) )

Since fender washers are used to back up other material, their specs
are far demanding.

If you buy a box, you will likely fiind the same thickness...because
they were punched from the same common sheet (or car ;) ).

The collection of different thicknesses we see likely comes from the
store dumping several boxes (from different sheets) into the same
drawer.

I do not see the same variations in other washer types...thank God.

TMT