Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chip control idea (roller blinds)

I have 6' tall by 3' wide free standing shelving behind my Bridgeport. I've been
considering how to keep all the chips from milling from landing on the shelving. I just
figured out a solution. A roller blind. I'll attach it to the top shelf out of the chip
spray zone, and pull it down to keep all the flying chips from covering the other shelves.

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:47:36 -0500, Wes wrote:

I have 6' tall by 3' wide free standing shelving behind my Bridgeport. I've been
considering how to keep all the chips from milling from landing on the shelving. I just
figured out a solution. A roller blind. I'll attach it to the top shelf out of the chip
spray zone, and pull it down to keep all the flying chips from covering the other shelves.

Wes

Very good idea! Hummm...so why isnt your BP in a corner like it was
designed to be located?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:47:36 -0500, Wes wrote:

I have 6' tall by 3' wide free standing shelving behind my Bridgeport.
I've been
considering how to keep all the chips from milling from landing on the
shelving. I just
figured out a solution. A roller blind. I'll attach it to the top shelf
out of the chip
spray zone, and pull it down to keep all the flying chips from covering
the other shelves.

Wes

Very good idea! Hummm...so why isnt your BP in a corner like it was
designed to be located?

I do not know about his specific application, but I keep my drill press
along a long straight wall between two work benches so I can easily feed
material larger than the table over the press for drilling. I have found
myself drilling stuff as long as 20 feet this way. I just set blocks on the
work benches (after I clear them off. LOL.) to rest material on, and clamp a
piece of channel to the table to keep my work piece roughly straight. The
back wall of my shop is 60 feet, but I have rollaway toolboxes, motor
stands, etc in the way. A couple folks have wondered why I do not have all
my equipment together. Mill, drill, saws, etc. Each thing is positioned
were practical to give the most room to feed material into it, and the few
items where this just isn't practical like my table saw are on kick up wheel
stands. I step on the pedal, roll it out where I have room, set it down on
its legs, cut what I need, and reverse.

Lots of small shops I have seen use their mill for drilling. I use mine for
anything that will fit on it anymore. It's a mini mill though so I have
limited its working space to about 3 feet on either side. I am still
shopping for a bigger mill or a better drill press. Form what I have seen
the better quality of either both cost real money.

I like the idea of having reference materials directly behind the machine.
I have related tools, clamps, blades, etc on a pegboard behind my equipment.
I take something off and the place to put it is right in front of me. The
blinds is a nice idea for book shelves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Very good idea! Hummm...so why isnt your BP in a corner like it was
designed to be located?

This little electrically heated room in a corner of my garage is 8'x 11' with a 14x30"
Clausing against one 8' wall and the bridgeport centered on the other 8' wall. The
corner just wouldn't work. Remember, this is Michigan, it still gets cold up here.

Actually, it was pretty warm today, only had the temp up to 60F but I was cutting a keyway
using a boring bar and the carriage taking a 0.001" at a time. That is a lot of cranking
when the keyway is in a L00 taper for a nose protector for a collet set up.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:28:46 -0500, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Very good idea! Hummm...so why isnt your BP in a corner like it was
designed to be located?

This little electrically heated room in a corner of my garage is 8'x 11' with a 14x30"
Clausing against one 8' wall and the bridgeport centered on the other 8' wall. The
corner just wouldn't work. Remember, this is Michigan, it still gets cold up here.

Well...its been in the low 40s the last couple nights about 3am. Does
that count? G But after the rain..the fog has been really really
heavy.

Actually, it was pretty warm today, only had the temp up to 60F but I was cutting a keyway
using a boring bar and the carriage taking a 0.001" at a time. That is a lot of cranking
when the keyway is in a L00 taper for a nose protector for a collet set up.

Wes

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

This little electrically heated room in a corner of my garage is 8'x 11' with a 14x30"
Clausing against one 8' wall and the bridgeport centered on the other 8' wall. The
corner just wouldn't work. Remember, this is Michigan, it still gets cold up here.

Well...its been in the low 40s the last couple nights about 3am. Does
that count? G But after the rain..the fog has been really really
heavy.

I am so looking forward to not watching my lathe and bridgeport rust this spring, speaking
of fog and condensation.

It got up to 37F today. Steel roof is about to shed a load of snow. Must be a midwinter
thaw. We didn't have one last year

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Idea for sunroom blinds dualboot Home Repair 3 October 9th 07 01:38 AM
I've had an idea. I'm a bit clueless with DIY. I want to put up a roller blind, here are some photos - sensible? [email protected] UK diy 29 December 7th 06 12:12 PM
Roller blinds for velux windows Nick Atty UK diy 0 June 21st 05 10:54 PM
Fitting Roller Blinds Paul UK diy 2 March 7th 05 05:01 PM
Any idea where I can buy a sliding patio door roller from? Steve Frost UK diy 1 May 27th 04 04:43 PM