Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mostly OT, tire alien "please don't litter" sign/sculpture

William Wixon wrote:
well, so, it's not like some high tech CAM produced piece of aerospace
hardware, but it's my little project that involved a small amount of
welding. and i'm proud of it. i think it came out ok. i think it's cute
and funny.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/tirealien.jpg

Cool!

If someone would just throw away a few hundred feet of conduit
and a couple basketballs, you could make your own FSM:
http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-con...009/06/fsm.jpg

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

well, so, it's not like some high tech CAM produced piece of aerospace
hardware, but it's my little project that involved a small amount of
welding. and i'm proud of it. i think it came out ok. i think it's cute
and funny.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/tirealien.jpg

i "adopted" a road near me. we do a litter pick up day in april. some
toothless inbred redneck threw 5 tires along our road. i was at a loss as
to what to do with them. wanted to make lemonade out of lemons. came up
with this "tire alien sculpture sign thingy". i used two recycled compact
discs for his wind activated "antenna" spinner thing. i originally had the
tires alternating black/white but the word "litter" was being partially
obscured so i changed it to a large-to-small arrangement, which changed the
wording and the black/white alternating. i thought instead of "please don't
litter", "litter please don't" was kinda in keeping with the alien theme,
sounds kinda yoda-ese.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:35:59 -0600, "William Wixon"
wrote:

[...]

Excellent. I wish I could do something useful with the trash that the
rednecks (mostly hunters) leave on my road. Got any designs that make
use of fast food wrapping-foil and giant soda cups? I was thinking
along the lines of a 10'X20', 40' deep pit covered with a trap door,
and situated just past the first no-hunting sign. You know, a sort of
self-compacting trash reservoir. :-)

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/tirealien.jpg

i "adopted" a road near me. we do a litter pick up day in april. some
toothless inbred redneck threw 5 tires along our road. i was at a loss as
to what to do with them. wanted to make lemonade out of lemons. came up
with this "tire alien sculpture sign thingy". i used two recycled compact
discs for his wind activated "antenna" spinner thing. i originally had the
tires alternating black/white but the word "litter" was being partially
obscured so i changed it to a large-to-small arrangement, which changed the
wording and the black/white alternating. i thought instead of "please don't
litter", "litter please don't" was kinda in keeping with the alien theme,
sounds kinda yoda-ese.

Nice work! I got a chuckle out of it. I fear you may find the makings of a alien family
though. There are some real slobs out there, even ones with good dental work.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/tirealien.jpg

i "adopted" a road near me. we do a litter pick up day in april. some
toothless inbred redneck threw 5 tires along our road. i was at a loss as
to what to do with them. wanted to make lemonade out of lemons. came up
with this "tire alien sculpture sign thingy". i used two recycled compact
discs for his wind activated "antenna" spinner thing. i originally had the
tires alternating black/white but the word "litter" was being partially
obscured so i changed it to a large-to-small arrangement, which changed the
wording and the black/white alternating. i thought instead of "please don't
litter", "litter please don't" was kinda in keeping with the alien theme,
sounds kinda yoda-ese.

William
Welcome to the wonderful world of "toss it out the window" I also
adopted a stretch of road near me (actually 2.5 miles on one road and 3+
on another) You will find things that will really make you wonder...

I have found sinks, panties, a refrigerator, tires, car batteries...
The good thing is that the state will pick up ANYTHING if I drag it out
and tag it (just spray it with an orange X) Big stuff I call about.

If you're in NY state the local engineer will give you a number to call
along with the hard hats, vests and the CHEAP gloves they hand out.

I usually pick up the junk every month, plus one section I keep mowed as
well. Looks MUCH better but I sort of lost interest when my puppy passed
away last year. I kept it mowed because he was a SHORT legged Corgi. Not
sure if I'm going to bother now. I'll still pick up the trash though.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

I usually pick up the junk every month, plus one section I keep mowed as
well. Looks MUCH better but I sort of lost interest when my puppy passed
away last year. I kept it mowed because he was a SHORT legged Corgi. Not
sure if I'm going to bother now. I'll still pick up the trash though.

Sorry about your doggie buddy. It has been 2 1/2 years and I still miss Thor.
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC00041_800x600.jpg

Dogs are special, a non judgmental man's best friend that will stick with you no mater
what who is always glad to see you. Cats only get concerned it the food dish is empty.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:

I usually pick up the junk every month, plus one section I keep mowed as
well. Looks MUCH better but I sort of lost interest when my puppy passed
away last year. I kept it mowed because he was a SHORT legged Corgi. Not
sure if I'm going to bother now. I'll still pick up the trash though.

Sorry about your doggie buddy. It has been 2 1/2 years and I still miss Thor.
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC00041_800x600.jpg

Dogs are special, a non judgmental man's best friend that will stick with you no mater
what who is always glad to see you. Cats only get concerned it the food dish is empty.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Yeah that bond is VERY special. I think the largest part is the trust
they place in you. It makes it really hard when you have to make the
final decision because they cannot really tell you what they want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/busterpup/

Has some picture of him through the years.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

thanks guys, your comments really cracked me up. :-)
winston, maybe next will be a FSM.
wayne, yeah, really, me too, with a shredder at the bottom.
wes, yeah, prolly some helpful citizen will decide drop off some more
materials for me.
steve, congrats, thanks for your efforts. i participated in two organized
(my local pick-ups are informal get-togethers) state road "adopt a highway"
pick-ups (down the side of a mountain), amazing the stuff, there was a dead
dog still on a leash, a kitchen garbage bag of human feces... it's nasty.
sorry about your dog. you too wes.

this "sculpture" entertains me. i was disappointed the antenna spinner
doesn't actually SPIN in wind, it kinda pivots back and forth, (i think if
it had a vane and was pointed into the wind it would spin) but it cracked me
up because it kinda looks like the "alien" is nervously glancing around,
watching for threats. i joked with a friend about it and she joked that the
alien (that looks to us like a stack of junk tires) was plomped down here on
earth alongside the road and is "HOPING NOBODY NOTICES ME!" (where he's VERY
noticable), hiding out in the open. i was just thinking this poor guy was
plompled down, some redneck comes along (me) and is like "dang!! useless!
can't even take it to the scrap man!!" "what can i do with this thing?! i
know, i'll spray paint some words on it!". seemed like a funny clip from a
movie. a defenseless alien who's paralyzed with fear, some redneck comes
along and sprays some graffiti on it (which makes it even MORE noticable).

holy ****, how many times has that happened in the history of the world.
some "redneck" comes upon an alien spaceship (like 3 feet dia.) and doesn't
know what it is, can't use any of the parts, hauls it in his junker p/u to
the scrap man, who dumps it into the hopper and shreds it.

Too bad they missed the Democrat mothership, before its cargo oozed
out and contaminated everything.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Love it! I think that's both funny and meaningful. Well
done, good man.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Wixon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Like that caller to Rush Limbaugh, and how she was waiting
for the mother ship. Musta got hauled off and junked.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message ...

holy ****, how many times has that happened in the history
of the world.
some "redneck" comes upon an alien spaceship (like 3 feet
dia.) and doesn't
know what it is, can't use any of the parts, hauls it in
his junker p/u to
the scrap man, who dumps it into the hopper and shreds it.

Too bad they missed the Democrat mothership, before its
cargo oozed
out and contaminated everything.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:50:00 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

I usually pick up the junk every month, plus one section I keep mowed as
well. Looks MUCH better but I sort of lost interest when my puppy passed
away last year. I kept it mowed because he was a SHORT legged Corgi. Not
sure if I'm going to bother now. I'll still pick up the trash though.

Sorry about your doggie buddy. It has been 2 1/2 years and I still miss Thor.
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC00041_800x600.jpg

Dogs are special, a non judgmental man's best friend that will stick with you no mater
what who is always glad to see you. Cats only get concerned it the food dish is empty.

Wes

Please...please go to the local pound and adopt a dog. In todays
economy...more and more critters are going to the pound and in most of
them...they have 3 days ..then they are killed.

Its past time for both of you to go down and adopt one. In fact...get
two. They need playmates and since both of you are apparently old
farts...they need playmates to play with, and you to sleep with.

As for cats..some are people friendly like dogs, others are not.

When I got home at 3 am this morning..with both of my dogs jumping out
of the truck in glee after having been gone for 2 weeks..we were greeted
by another 3 dogs and 2 cats..the cats jumping right in with the dogs to
get head scratched and hugged and loved on.

Come on guys...go and find yourselves some buddies at the pound, or on
Craigslist or wherever. You obviously need them..and they damned sure
need you!

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pinstripe Sniper" wrote in message

Nice job! What is the "cap" between the top tire and the 2 cd spinner
antenna?

PsS

thanks!
i sawed off the domed bottom of a fire extinguisher, that was the "welding"
portion of my project, to the water pressure tank dome i scrounged at the
dump.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pinstripe Sniper wrote:
Winston wrote:
If someone would just throw away a few hundred feet of conduit
and a couple basketballs, you could make your own FSM:
http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-con...009/06/fsm.jpg
--Winston

If thee is ignorant to the ways and teachings of FSM and the one true
path to Pastafarianism, seek enlightenment he

http://www.venganza.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

PsS

Sauce be upon Him

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pinstripe Sniper" wrote in message

Nice.

The idealist in me says if you can make a person smile or laugh when
you want them to do the proper thing, your odds of success are
improved. :-)

The cynic in me says someone will set it on fire or otherwise deface
it or steal it. :-(

PsS

thanks again.
(not to belabor this thread...)
yeah, i agree, i'm sure it's going to be vandalized. almost would be good
though if they steal it, a creative way to dispose of dumped tires. i was
figuring it'll be rammed with a truck (that's what keeps happening to the
plywood signs), at least this one is rubber, maybe it'll mostly bounce.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/happyjoypleasedon'tlitter.jpg

i change the seasonal message, try to make it cute hoping people would be
less inclined to smash 'em.
(these locations are traditional dumping areas (two different signs
pictured), seems the dumping has "stopped", much to everyone's surprise.)
(i pull the "patriotic" card with the (u.s.) flag(s), last time someone
smashed the one sign they stole the flag.)
(the sportsmen's club that leases the farm land put the posted sign.)
(i made another one, plasma cut (about 8"~12" tall) letters out of 5 gal.
vegetable oil cans from the chinese joint, "keep" "america" "beautiful".
"beautiful" was over 6 feet long. "keep" and "america" are still there but
shortly after i put them up someone vandalized "beautiful", twice, then it
disappeared altogether. i found it in the woods a few months later, i
repaired it but haven't mustered the motivation yet to reinstall it.)

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

[...]

Too bad you can't install it with some C4. One swing, or hit with a
truck and BOOOOOOMMMM!!!

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

sorry to go on about this, tooting my horn.
there were blurbs in two local newspapers here about that "sculpture". one
had a photo (the same photo i posted a link to, but that paper doesn't have
an on-line link to the photo/blurb.)

i was tickled.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...0/COMM/1200345

i hope i haven't already posted this. a blurb about our "litter pick up
day" and on-going efforts.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...COMM/912230337

b.w.