Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New high strength steel

Carpenter Tech announced a patented high strength steel that does not
contain Cobalt.
In fact reading the data sheet, it is a low alloy steel with high
strength and toughness.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/PremoM....html?x=0&.v=1

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 5, 6:06*pm, "ddeu" wrote:
Perhaps similar to X45NiCrMo4 for many applications.
Seems to need cryogenic treatment for best properties possibly the high Si
at work?

Carpenter Tech announced a patented high strength steel that does not
contain Cobalt.
In fact reading the data sheet, it is a low alloy steel with high
strength and toughness.

Do they offer free evaluation samples?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 5, 11:06*pm, "ddeu" wrote:
Perhaps similar to X45NiCrMo4 for many applications.
Seems to need cryogenic treatment for best properties possibly the high Si
at work?

The Carpenter web site says -100 F for an hour for max toughness.
-100 is cold but is about what you get with dry ice. I think of
cryogenic as colder than that.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jan 5, 11:06 pm, "ddeu" wrote:
Perhaps similar to X45NiCrMo4 for many applications.
Seems to need cryogenic treatment for best properties possibly the high Si
at work?

The Carpenter web site says -100 F for an hour for max toughness.
-100 is cold but is about what you get with dry ice. I think of
cryogenic as colder than that.

Dan

You are probably right about the modern definition of cryogenic. The temp
they quote is presumably to allow for the use of dry ice. I am probably
using the term the way I did because at work we use liquid nitrogen cooled
baths for all our work from -40°C to -196°C.