Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Great articles on high strength fasteners

http://www.unbrako.com/facts.htm

Very nicely presented information about high strength fasteners,
clamping force, etc.

Great bedtime reading.

I stumbled upon this website because I acquired a pallet of Unbrako
fasteners and wanted to look them up. It included 464 1"-8 by 5" long
socket head screws.

Slightly smaller 1"-8 by 4" long fasteners are shown he

http://www.jlindustrial.com/USC-1485...Y/product.html

Both articles are very enlightening and highly recommended.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11215 wrote:

I stumbled upon this website because I acquired a pallet of Unbrako
fasteners and wanted to look them up. It included 464 1"-8 by 5" long
socket head screws.

I read somewhere recently that since the early 60's, all SHC screws produced
in the USA have to be good stuff. Don't remember the spec's but no cheese
screws allowed period.

Read the first article on that webpage.

That was the case. All SHC fasteners were stronger than even Grade 8
tensile strength requirements. So if you posted this statement a few
years ago, you would be right.

However, it is not the case now, and some SHC fasteners can be of a
lesser grade.

The article explains why it is improper to refer to those as Grade 8
or 8, but if I was to grossly simplify, they used to be all somewhat
above grade 8 (metric 12.9), and now they may also be grade 5 (metric
grade 10).

Unbrakos are all of the higher grade.