Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FOR SALE: Atlas QC54 Work in progress (almost finished)

Well, the time has come for me to give up my blood, sweat, and tears.
I have decided to sell my Atlas QC54 lathe with all the associated
bits and pieces.

I purchased this lathe several years ago when i was working at a
machine shop and had nothing better to do with my free time. I had
intended to tear it apart, repaint, replace, repair everything and use
it at home. I got through %95 of the process and had to put the lathe
into storage so i could attend college away from home. The only thing
that has not been done yet is to finish repairing/painting the
quickchange with the new gears I had cut and replace a bunch of
bushings. What I have done to it:

Complete teardown and repaint the bed, headstock, carriage, crosslide,
legs. Rustoleum primer and machine Grey
Replace headstock bearings with timken tapered roller bearings.
Replace spindle preload nut (round nut with locking set screw) with a
custom made hex nut.
Replace spindle gear with a custom cut steel gear.
Replace all zmak (zinc potmetal) gears with custom cut or boston gear
replacements.
Replace worn quickchange gears with custom steel replacements.
New half nuts.
New custom countershaft (17-4 stainless i thin it was) Same as
original with zerk fittings for ease of lubrication
New Countershaft Bearing housings (17-4 Stainless) with new roller
bearings, and collars and UHMW seals
New drive belt Modular type (it has removable links.) I cant remember
the brand right now but its a neat piece of kit

The lathe has sat in my parents garage for about 2 years now. I was
able to get home every few months and keep the ways oiled so there is
no rust there. Below is the list of stuff I have for it. (from memory
so don't quote me)

6" 3 Jaw Chuck
3 faceplates not sure of size right now, one 6" and probably 1 9" with
dogs.
4 jaw chuck(s) I think there are 2 there
3AT collet set with drawbar and spindle taper (I am nearly positive
that this is a complete set)
Lathe is on legs, painted, not atable top version.
Some spare parts (gears and such)
Misc. box of tooling.
Spindle nose chuck (rusty if i remember) I did my best to clean it up
then sprayed it with wd-40 and lithium grease

So if you have read all of this and are interested. I have no idea
what to ask for it. I put a ton of effort into restoring it and it
kills me to have to sell it. Make me a reasonalbe offer. I would
rather not part it out.
Please feel free to contact me by email lapolt*ba*@*gm*ail*.*com
(remove * symbol)
I can take some pictures if you would like. If you want to know
specifics please ask and I will answer questions.
Obviously I probably missed somehting here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

..
Obviously I probably missed somehting here.

Like where is the lathe?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 6:39*pm, " wrote:
.

Obviously I probably missed somehting here.

Like where is the lathe?

Paul

http://albany.craigslist.org/tls/1531087910.html

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 6:39*pm, " wrote:
.

Obviously I probably missed somehting here.

Like where is the lathe?

Paul

hah... yeah duh that would be helpful.

But your friend Jim figured it out quick enough. I'm sure google
probably would have helped. It seems that it is good at finding
craigslist postings now.

Anyway, It is located in Warrensburg, NY. Southern Adirondack region.

-Brian
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Add to that list of stuff:

Stead rest and a follow rest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nytrillium wrote:
.... Make me a reasonalbe offer. ...

For what it's worth - I pretty much never respond to ads/offers that
don't have an asking price. I feel I'm wasting my time without knowing
a price. I'm sure that others don't feel this way, but there are ones
like me & you're eliminating us as potential customers.

When it's "make an offer", I assume the seller is dreaming about an
unrealistic price, especially in your case, with the work that you've
put into it. You know its condition, you know the market in your area
(if not, do some homework), & you know what you expect to get. Tell us
- you'll scare off some, but they weren't customers in the first place.

My 2 cents worth,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 31, 10:10*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
nytrillium wrote:

... Make me a reasonalbe offer. ...

For what it's worth - I pretty much never respond to ads/offers that
don't have an asking price. *I feel I'm wasting my time without knowing
a price. *I'm sure that others don't feel this way, but there are ones
like me & you're eliminating us as potential customers.

When it's "make an offer", I assume the seller is dreaming about an
unrealistic price, especially in your case, with the work that you've
put into it. *You know its condition, you know the market in your area
(if not, do some homework), & you know what you expect to get. *Tell us
- you'll scare off some, but they weren't customers in the first place.

My 2 cents worth,
Bob

I went out and took some pictures this morning. They are being
uploaded to photobucket as we speak. Those of you that emailed and
requested pictures I will send you the link ASAP. I do not want to
post the link here.

Just to add a few more things. I also have a taper attachment for
this lathe. Like i said the quickchange is disassembled and some
gears/bushings need to be put back in. Also, the entire gear train is
off the headstock. All of the gears are there and a couple just need
their bushings bored out to size. The change lever and yoke need to
be painted. The yoke had been brazed by a previous owner because it
had cracked.

As for an asking price. I would really like to get $1500 for it. If
that is unreasonable i'm sure someone will tell me.

I base this on what I saw when i first started this project. At that
time there were tons of these machines on ebay in varous states of
(dis)repair. The prices ranged anywhere from $200 for one with nothing
included in crappy shape to $1500 with lots of tooling and
accessories. That being said, browsing ebay now, there are only a
handful of machines (if that) for sale. There are none of the QC54's
like this one. Interpret that as you will but I think that $1500 is a
good starting point considering the included accessories and the
amount of work that has been put into this machine.

Thanks,
Brian
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:10:52 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

nytrillium wrote:
... Make me a reasonalbe offer. ...

For what it's worth - I pretty much never respond to ads/offers that
don't have an asking price. I feel I'm wasting my time without knowing
a price. I'm sure that others don't feel this way, but there are ones
like me & you're eliminating us as potential customers.

When it's "make an offer", I assume the seller is dreaming about an
unrealistic price, especially in your case, with the work that you've
put into it. You know its condition, you know the market in your area
(if not, do some homework), & you know what you expect to get. Tell us
- you'll scare off some, but they weren't customers in the first place.

My 2 cents worth,
Bob

Echos my thoughts very well.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

work in progress again Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 March 14th 08 11:29 PM
Work in Progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 13 March 11th 08 09:31 PM
Work in progress tom Woodworking 0 May 23rd 07 01:52 AM
Work in Progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 4 January 5th 07 11:27 PM
Work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 2 October 4th 06 07:18 PM