Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FOR SALE: Atlas QC54 Work in progress (almost finished)

Well, the time has come for me to give up my blood, sweat, and tears.
I have decided to sell my Atlas QC54 lathe with all the associated
bits and pieces.

I purchased this lathe several years ago when i was working at a
machine shop and had nothing better to do with my free time. I had
intended to tear it apart, repaint, replace, repair everything and use
it at home. I got through %95 of the process and had to put the lathe
into storage so i could attend college away from home. The only thing
that has not been done yet is to finish repairing/painting the
quickchange with the new gears I had cut and replace a bunch of
bushings. What I have done to it:

Complete teardown and repaint the bed, headstock, carriage, crosslide,
legs. Rustoleum primer and machine Grey
Replace headstock bearings with timken tapered roller bearings.
Replace spindle preload nut (round nut with locking set screw) with a
custom made hex nut.
Replace spindle gear with a custom cut steel gear.
Replace all zmak (zinc potmetal) gears with custom cut or boston gear
replacements.
Replace worn quickchange gears with custom steel replacements.
New half nuts.
New custom countershaft (17-4 stainless i thin it was) Same as
original with zerk fittings for ease of lubrication
New Countershaft Bearing housings (17-4 Stainless) with new roller
bearings, and collars and UHMW seals
New drive belt Modular type (it has removable links.) I cant remember
the brand right now but its a neat piece of kit

The lathe has sat in my parents garage for about 2 years now. I was
able to get home every few months and keep the ways oiled so there is
no rust there. Below is the list of stuff I have for it. (from memory
so don't quote me)

6" 3 Jaw Chuck
3 faceplates not sure of size right now, one 6" and probably 1 9" with
dogs.
4 jaw chuck(s) I think there are 2 there
3AT collet set with drawbar and spindle taper (I am nearly positive
that this is a complete set)
Lathe is on legs, painted, not atable top version.
Some spare parts (gears and such)
Misc. box of tooling.
Spindle nose chuck (rusty if i remember) I did my best to clean it up
then sprayed it with wd-40 and lithium grease

So if you have read all of this and are interested. I have no idea
what to ask for it. I put a ton of effort into restoring it and it
kills me to have to sell it. Make me a reasonalbe offer. I would
rather not part it out.
Please feel free to contact me by email lapolt*ba*@*gm*ail*.*com
(remove * symbol)
I can take some pictures if you would like. If you want to know
specifics please ask and I will answer questions.
Obviously I probably missed somehting here.

work in progress again Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 0 March 14th 08 11:29 PM
Work in Progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 13 March 11th 08 09:31 PM
Work in progress tom Woodworking 0 May 23rd 07 01:52 AM
Work in Progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 4 January 5th 07 11:27 PM
Work in progress Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 2 October 4th 06 07:18 PM