Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sellstrom vs. Harbor Freight auto helmets

I have come across a Sellstrom automatic welding helmet. This is a
fixed shade 10 model, narrow view port.

Comparing it with a Harbor Freight helmet, I think that my HF helmet
(I actually have two, one for me and one for my son) is not really any
worse in any respect. The HF helmet has adjustable shade. Also the
Sellstrom has a funny button that needs to be pressed to activate the
automatic feature, and the HF one "just works".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 10:05*am, Ignoramus10756 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10756.invalid wrote:
I have come across a Sellstrom automatic welding helmet. This is a
fixed shade 10 model, narrow view port.

Comparing it with a Harbor Freight helmet, I think that my HF helmet
(I actually have two, one for me and one for my son) is not really any
worse in any respect. The HF helmet has adjustable shade. Also the
Sellstrom has a funny button that needs to be pressed to activate the
automatic feature, and the HF one "just works".

What shade of lens should be used for mig welding?
I bought my son a HF chicago elec. mig & helmet for christmas. I
noticed on American Chopper, the guys just using yellow sunglasses?

Thx.

--

~g~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10756" wrote in message
I have come across a Sellstrom automatic welding helmet. This is a
fixed shade 10 model, narrow view port.

Comparing it with a Harbor Freight helmet, I think that my HF helmet
(I actually have two, one for me and one for my son) is not really any
worse in any respect. The HF helmet has adjustable shade. Also the
Sellstrom has a funny button that needs to be pressed to activate the
automatic feature, and the HF one "just works".

I have two HF Automatic Helmets. Both "just work" as you put it. The
cheaper one was a gift from a friend for doing multiple repairs on his boat
trailer. He breaks it, and I fix it. The one thing I do not care for with
the more expensive one is it takes a substantial time to go light again
(almost a full second) after the arc shuts off. If I am doing stacked tac
welds on light sheet metal this can be a big pain in the wazoo.

Anyway, both of my HF autos work so well I can not imagine using anything
else. The plastic lens shield does seem to cludge up with smoke and spatter
more easily than my old helmet, but I can live with that. My old one is so
old the shield is glass I think.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10756.invalid wrote:
I have come across a Sellstrom automatic welding helmet. This is a
fixed shade 10 model, narrow view port.

Comparing it with a Harbor Freight helmet, I think that my HF helmet
(I actually have two, one for me and one for my son) is not really any
worse in any respect. The HF helmet has adjustable shade. Also the
Sellstrom has a funny button that needs to be pressed to activate the
automatic feature, and the HF one "just works".

What shade of lens should be used for mig welding?
I bought my son a HF chicago elec. mig & helmet for christmas. I
noticed on American Chopper, the guys just using yellow sunglasses?

Thx.

--

~g~

My welding instructor hates American Chopper and Myth Busters because of the
crappy welding and welding safety.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus10756 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:05:25 -0600:

I have come across a Sellstrom automatic welding helmet. This is a
fixed shade 10 model, narrow view port.

Comparing it with a Harbor Freight helmet, I think that my HF helmet
(I actually have two, one for me and one for my son) is not really any
worse in any respect. The HF helmet has adjustable shade.

The harbor freight ones are a great value. I got mine when I was
helping a friend fence off her 10 acres out in Arizona just before the
Katrina hurricane. It just now has started to have a slow response.
I think the internal battery is dead/dying, but there is no way to
replace it. I have ordered another one from northern tool, should be
here in a week or so.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 1, 7:06*am, (dan) wrote:
[...]

Even those supposedly "sealed" units can be opened, the battery is
usually a standard lithium coin. You just have to cleverer than the
factory, not too hard.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 31 2009, 3:29 am, cncmillgil wrote:

What shade of lens should be used for mig welding?
I bought my son a HF chicago elec. mig & helmet for christmas. I
noticed on American Chopper, the guys just using yellow sunglasses?

Thx

~g~

I was wondering about this one - don't own a MIG, (would like to, but
too expensive to run) but did a course at school on how to use them -
lovely machines. Trouble is, the arc is so bright that my usual auto-
darkening helmet which is FANTASTIC for stick welding is virtually
useless as I cant see the weld line. Tried different ones at school,
including the old fashioned "normal" helmets..same problem.

Is there a solution - someone, somewhere, mentioned there was a marker
pen that became fluorescent when exposed to the MIG arc, so you could
see where your going. Havent been able to track one down, anyone got a
clue about brand name and its "proper" name that a shop would
recognise?

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
[...]

It used to be available at Bunnings about a year ago, but I havent seen it
since. You had to put a red lens ( came with the kit) in front of your
normal lens.
Since I am getting a little long in the tooth, my eyes aren't the best for
Tig welding, so I got a set of clip on magnifying lens's. It has inproved
the vision, but hasn't taken the shake out of my hands. At least I can see
what I am stuffing up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I have a HF helmet but I haven't used it in ages. As usual, when I got
it out the other day to do some welding it wasn't working. So I will be
getting another one. I don't remember if mine was the cheaper one or the
more expensive one. But are you saying that after using both you like
the cheaper one better? I'm going to get another one soon and would like
to know which one to get. No sense paying for the more expensive one if
the cheap one is actually the better of he two. So which HF helmet is
the one to get?

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

I would not say one is better than the other. The cheap one has one
adjustment only (shade) and the batteries are not replaceable. The more
expensive one is adjustable in almost everyway, and the batteries are
replaceable. It is just slow to go from dark to clear when the light stops.
Most of the time I use the more expensive one, but if I am stacking tacs for
thin sheet metal I use the cheap one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jan 1, 7:06 am, (dan) wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I kinda figured when mine died I would break out the Dremel, mini
pliers, dental pics, crow bar, slide hammer, and sledge hammer as needed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:31:06 -0800 (PST):

On Jan 1, 7:06*am, (dan) wrote:
[...]

Sure. As soon as I have another helmet that one will be opened up.
I just wasn't sure I could do it without breaking it. I'm sure it
will be simple once I can see what's inside. But for now I just have
to blink when I strike an arc.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Cheap auto-darkening welding helmets NoSpam UK diy 13 January 27th 09 02:12 PM
Harbor Freight Auto Fuse Recall J. Clarke Woodworking 0 October 29th 07 02:23 PM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
Comment on Harbor Freight auto darken helmet mongke Metalworking 9 April 8th 05 04:57 AM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM